• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All 8 glow plugs going out at once?

Dirtbag

I have had my hmmwv for the last 5 years (original usmc) and never had an issue starting. Started one night (cold in the teens), next morning. Wait light comes on like normal, has fuel, but just turns over. I have read the glow plug gospel. And it seems like all my glow plugs took a ****.
What I'm getting at. Is it possible to fry all of them? I didn't let the truck finish the gp cycle before I went up to the field to check on some fencing. I guessing that's enough to do itn..

Dock Rocker

I have had my hmmwv for the last 5 years (original usmc) and never had an issue starting. Started one night (cold in the teens), next morning. Wait light comes on like normal, has fuel, but just turns over. I have read the glow plug gospel. And it seems like all my glow plugs took a ****.
What I'm getting at. Is it possible to fry all of them? I didn't let the truck finish the gp cycle before I went up to the field to check on some fencing. I guessing that's enough to do itn..

If the box goes bad and sends voltage for a long time it will fry them all.

You can check you them with a multimeter.

https://youtu.be/4Po_1pNHE1Y

What box do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mario

What's the proper or correct resistance for HUMVEE's glow plugs?
Is it basically short is good and thetefore working and infinite open is bad, as in not conducting?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please list a state in your location as the site rules request.

Mario

Isn’t it like 1.6-1.8 ohms means good? Open or short is bad. Usually they fail open.
Ended up swapping all 8 from that FleaBay special from few days ago.
3 good, 5 bad. Besides testing them with multi-meter, I did quick test with jumper cable to confirm. From now on, I'll be testing them all that way as it's easy, fool proof and ultimately I think more reliable.

Skrilex

Banned
Ended up swapping all 8 from that FleaBay special from few days ago.
3 good, 5 bad. Besides testing them with multi-meter, I did quick test with jumper cable to confirm. From now on, I'll be testing them all that way as it's easy, fool proof and ultimately I think more reliable.
Except that doesn’t work if they are installed. But you’re right, they can test good and still be bad.

Dirtbag

No point in checking them as I know for a fact they're all bad....
But thanks to the one dude. I'm still running the Norton yellow label box. I'll bring my box to the motorpool and swap it out for white label.

Action

If you don't know what made the plugs fail, and you replace them (and nothing else), isn't there a chance you can just fry them too?

Dirtbag

Obviously bro. I revved the **** out of her to get her out of the field, and didn't let them cycle on/off and warm up as I have been doing all these years. I tried pulling them, and they're all swollen. So they're ****ed.

I have a friend at the motor pool that'll trade me boxes with the coolant sensor. So when I get the glow plug tool from kascar, she'll run and hopefully not fry the spare set of GP'S I have been holding onto forever.

Yeah bro fort ****ing sill. They should have closed this **** hole down in 09 instead of bringing ada.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dock Rocker is 100% correct I had this happen on my Duramax, I went out to start it and it was -17 that morning and I had been fishing all night, when I tried to start the pickup it fired on 1 cylinder, 1 out of 8 is NOT good!! By the way the batteries were acting I had one more good attempt to start the engine and it fired up. After much diagnosing at the dealers it was the controller that was bad and it took 7 of the 8 glow plugs with it!
It was expensive if I remember right?
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks