• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

all black with Behr paint

nick1998

My first post and yes also new to owning a Humvee. Recently purchased a 1986 M998 and also just got a set of fiberglass X doors for it. I want to paint over the original camo and I'm starting to lean towards the Behr route. I do have someone who can get Carc and would be willing to paint it black for me for $1500 but he is basically just gonna power wash it and spray it. I would like something I can touch up later when needed thats why I think the Behr might be the better route.
Anyway has anyone just done all black with Behr and have any pictures to share?
Also is there a updated paint code for the matte black?
Thanks so much

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only issue with all black is you have zero contrast with black on black on black. Makes the truck look less finished IMHO but still nice. Keep up updated.

Mark

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first post and yes also new to owning a Humvee. Recently purchased a 1986 M998 and also just got a set of fiberglass X doors for it. I want to paint over the original camo and I'm starting to lean towards the Behr route. I do have someone who can get Carc and would be willing to paint it black for me for $1500 but he is basically just gonna power wash it and spray it. I would like something I can touch up later when needed thats why I think the Behr might be the better route.
Anyway has anyone just done all black with Behr and have any pictures to share?
Also is there a updated paint code for the matte black?
Thanks so much
Ive seen some stuff done in flat with semi gloss accents that look cool ! But i cant think of a reason to fool around with carc paint if you dont have to and be SURE you wear a good respirator even if your just using scuff padd before you paint cause sanding carc paint is super bad for your lungs and what ever color you decide on the GILLISPE COATINGS that RAPCOPARTS sale has been awful easy to use ive shot near 7 gallons of the stuff on my truck and you could buy 2 gallons of the 383 plus a gallon of laquer thinner from your local paint dealer and a 20 dollar graivity feed paint gun from harbour freight and a respirator and barely have 200 bucks in the whole job and shoot it your self and put the 1300 you save towards other thing the truck will need !

nick1998

nick1998

Ive seen some stuff done in flat with semi gloss accents that look cool ! But i cant think of a reason to fool around with carc paint if you dont have to and be SURE you wear a good respirator even if your just using scuff padd before you paint cause sanding carc paint is super bad for your lungs and what ever color you decide on the GILLISPE COATINGS that RAPCOPARTS sale has been awful easy to use ive shot near 7 gallons of the stuff on my truck and you could buy 2 gallons of the 383 plus a gallon of laquer thinner from your local paint dealer and a 20 dollar graivity feed paint gun from harbour freight and a respirator and barely have 200 bucks in the whole job and shoot it your self and put the 1300 you save towards other thing the truck will need !
Do you know if the suspension on a M998 would be carc also? I’m sanding some surface rust off to repaint on some suspension, wearing a respirator regardless just curious what I’m working with.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that all sprayed on or did you brush any of it? Can I get the formula you used?
Thanks man and great work
With the exception of the stencils, it's all sprayed on.

I used Sherwin-Williams weather shield with an ultra deep flat base. If you want gloss, you can get a semi or satin base.

The black is "tri corn black" from Lowes. The tannish color is what I actually had color matched with my soft top.

I used an airless sprayer from Lowes to apply and a 3" soft roller for the stencils.

The beauty of the house paint is it is water based, so easy cleanup at the end or any mistakes made. No need for mixes or thinners, just adjust the output of the sprayer and it's only about $50.00 a gallon. The 5 ton has been painted a year with multiple pressure washes and the M715 recently with several pressure washes.

Screenshot_20230410_102547_Gallery.jpg

AndyT

I used Sherwin-Williams weather shield with an ultra deep flat base. If you want gloss, you can get a semi or satin base.

The black is "tri corn black" from Lowes. The tannish color is what I actually had color matched with my soft top.

I used an airless sprayer from Lowes to apply and a 3" soft roller for the stencils.

The beauty of the house paint is it is water based, so easy cleanup at the end or any mistakes made. No need for mixes or thinners, just adjust the output of the sprayer and it's only about $50.00 a gallon. The 5 ton has been painted a year with multiple pressure washes and the M715 recently with several pressure washes.

View attachment 895134
That's the exact color I'd like to do my 5 ton

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know if the suspension on a M998 would be carc also? I’m sanding some surface rust off to repaint on some suspension, wearing a respirator regardless just curious what I’m working with.
Treat it like a gun its always loaded so i feel sure if its straight from uncle sam yea i would say so !

nick1998

View attachment 895134
Sorry I’m slow today! The sherwin Williams paint is what color on your vehicles?

Mt he black is exactly what I’m wanting I got the color name but what paint from Lowe’s did you use?

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I’m slow today! The sherwin Williams paint is what color on your vehicles?

Mt he black is exactly what I’m wanting I got the color name but what paint from Lowe’s did you use?
Sherwin-Williams Weathershield ultra deep base. The color is Tricorn black.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks