• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All glow plugs failing @ same time?!?!

NVRENUFF

I've had my truck for about 5 years now and it's always fired right up no matter how cold it was. Even in 25* it fired up with no smoke of haze. The last time I went to drive it, it took some cranking to get it to fire up. The resistors are good, relay is good, all 8 glow plugs read OPEN with a fluke meter. Why would they all fail at the same time, or could they have slowly been failing over the years till none were left? Not sure they've ever been changed so I guess I'll change them all. Can anyone give me the correct PN, are they different in the CUCV vs civilian model?

Thanks for any help!

cucvrus

IMHO. Just change the glow plugs and move on. No need to redesign the glow plug system. Just think they latest over 30 years the way they were. Yes they do require maintenance on occasion. I have 6 running and driving CUCV';s and every CUCV I own has A C Delco 13 G glow plugs in it and all the the resistors are hooked up. I have been running them like that for 23 years. Am I doing something wrong. NO. But do as you wish. I just wanted you to know that the system was designed to work and it does. Do things wear out yes. When they do replace the parts needed. Not redesign the entire system. I have a great book that a member wrote on the CUCV glow plug system. It has many valuable tips on the system. If you follow the instructions and maintain the current system it will work for years. Tell me has anyone ever seen a A C Delco 60 Glow Plug fail? I have so ??? They are the same as anything mechanical. It is bound to fail at sometime or another. Happy Holidays. I just wanted to tell you to keep it stock and maintain the value. I am open for all feedback negative and positive. But a guy with 25 posts is more likely to do what others tell him is the best way. And I disagree.

NVRENUFF

Thanks! I'll order 8 today. The GPs are on a push button, no automatic controller. Been like that for 16yrs. Either my wife of myself must have held the button too long. I'll blame her. Lol. We'll be more careful from now on how long we hear them for.

cucvrus

Buy a new circuit card for the glow plugs and rewire it and live happily ever after. Then it is a no blame wait till the light goes out and start it. Good Luck. Happy Holidays.rs_500x326-141217151556-TheGrinchCartoonhappy grinch.gif

NVRENUFF

IMHO. Just change the glow plugs and move on. No need to redesign the glow plug system. Just think they latest over 30 years the way they were. Yes they do require maintenance on occasion. I have 6 running and driving CUCV';s and every CUCV I own has A C Delco 13 G glow plugs in it and all the the resistors are hooked up. I have been running them like that for 23 years. Am I doing something wrong. NO. But do as you wish. I just wanted you to know that the system was designed to work and it does. Do things wear out yes. When they do replace the parts needed. Not redesign the entire system. I have a great book that a member wrote on the CUCV glow plug system. It has many valuable tips on the system. If you follow the instructions and maintain the current system it will work for years. Tell me has anyone ever seen a A C Delco 60 Glow Plug fail? I have so ??? They are the same as anything mechanical. It is bound to fail at sometime or another. Happy Holidays. I just wanted to tell you to keep it stock and maintain the value. I am open for all feedback negative and positive. But a guy with 25 posts is more likely to do what others tell him is the best way. And I disagree.
I have no plans to change the system, simple stock is fine with me. The GP controller was a repeated failure so 16yrs ago it was swapped out to a push button and large 12v relay. It's worked fine this long so I wasn't even going to change back to original. The resistors are good and I didn't feel like arguing with people about what they are for, limiting current not dropping voltage.

NVRENUFF

Buy a new circuit card for the glow plugs and rewire it and live happily ever after. Then it is a no blame wait till the light goes out and start it. Good Luck. Happy Holidays.View attachment 655635
i will look to see if all the original wiring is still there for the glow plug controller, and if it is I'll order it with the plugs. Going back to all original is fine with me, the truck doesn't get 1,000 miles a year so stock is fine, I just want to hop in and drive like it was new with no issues.

Haoleb

FWIW when I got my truck I found out someone had installed the 60G glow plugs but left the stock resistor setup in place. It did have a manual switch though. At least with those 60g plugs you don't need to be as concerned with them expanding and not being able to get them out.

cucvrus

I am not so sure that is 100% accurate. I had Ford's with 7.3 diesels in them and the glow plugs expanded also. The glow plugs were on the top side not as big a deal. I also had older 6.2 / 6.5 cutaway GM cab chassis that had glow plugs swell. They were a real joy as the engine was in side and the only access was the dog-box inside. Oh Joy. I had a few motor homes that were very clean and plush and had to change heads on them back in the early 90's because the glow plugs stripped and would not come out. I remember it well. It paid like 10 hours and I had 30 in it. You gotta love flat rate. I would say it would be real easy to return back to stock. And it will make it easier for everyone to start and drive. Just keep it simple and keep it stock always worked for me. Happy Holidays.imagesdog grinch.jpg

NVRENUFF

So with a manual glow plug relay and keeping the stock resistors, the 60G are the correct ones or is there another part number I need? I need to order them soon so they are delivered before I get home.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you will be happy with ac60G's.

You'll need 1/4 female spade connectors unless they have been replaced already. Original used 3/16 connectors.

NVRENUFF

Well the great procrastinator I am, I never got around to ordering those glow plugs. On my way home from a family bowling night I stopped at Oriellys and they had 8 of the 60G in stock for $8.08ea. Not too bad.

The first 3 came right out, but they became more difficult from there. Some were stuck pretty good but penetrating oil and patience paid off. Got them all out and replaced, the 60G's are in. It's around freezing now and the truck fired right up.

Thanks for for all the help everyone!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks