• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All set for GP pickup at Fort Riley M925a2 in the morning

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm super excited to pick up my new (to me) 5 ton truck in the morning. I'd like to thank all those members who offered their advice. I'll post some pics from the trip and and maybe some insights that might help future folks doing their own recoveries.

I've read the TM's have tools and fluids, a medium towbar, a CUCV with a slave cable and my family, I guess the big question is the weather here in the middle of Kansas. Light rain and some freezing.

So is it ok to tow the 5 ton with the cucv?

Attachments

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say to only get it off the road! The problem is the 5 ton out weighs the cucv by quite a bit and you can not get it stopped very well. I have made 1 recovery not from the base but from a buddies place where we put fluids back in it because it had been drained. we had no problems. I made a recovery in texas the only trouble I had was on inspection I noticed the left rear drivers were not centered correctly fixed that and drove it 500 miles no problem. Just give it a good look over and I make sure and grease the drive shaft (most important to me) and other grease fittings and check all the fluids. Make sure the brakes work well. Enjoy the adventure!
Good Luck!!!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you confirmed this with GP... being today, there's a ton of GS not working... I got front row parking at my building this morning... normally I'm in the overflow lot.

KsM715

:ditto: I saw that too and hope it was in jest. I've heard the roads are bad around that area this morning. Take your time and be careful. ( I can't tell exactly how the roads are because I'm out of state for Thanksgiving )

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Three, count them three phone calls to customer support on Monday and Tuesday and Wenesday and a follow up Email asking for my GP item number even though I provided the release number in an earlier Email about a Friday pickup and up guess what.....there closed.

luckily the on site person "brian" agreed to come open the place up. I guess nobody from GP told him his was working today.

When I was younger I would have flipped. Now I understand there's absolutely nothing than one can do about it, just relax and work through it.

hopefully at 11:00 am things get back on tract.

terry

JK on towing the 5 ton with the cucv. I'm sure it will work better with the 5 ton in the front.

Last edited:

m715mike

Well, you could put the CUCV in front and use the 5-Ton as a push truck....Awe, but that probably isn't recommended either....

On a serious note, I'm glad you were able to contact someone and you are getting your truck today. Good luck with the rest of the recovery. Stay safe!

General Hood

Three, count them three phone calls to customer support on Monday and Tuesday and Wenesday and a follow up Email asking for my GP item number even though I provided the release number in an earlier Email about a Friday pickup and up guess what.....there closed.

luckily the on site person "brian" agreed to come open the place up. I guess nobody from GP told him his was working today.

When I was younger I would have flipped. Now I understand there's absolutely nothing than one can do about it, just relax and work through it.

hopefully at 11:00 am things get back on tract.

terry

JK on towing the 5 ton with the cucv. I'm sure it will work better with the 5 ton in the front.
Brian took care of me on my last Ft Riley recovery. He's a good dude. Enjoy your new ride

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yea I had talked with Brian on Monday and he was "unsure on Friday" so I scheduled my 934 for Monday with the trucking company. Nice truck and good luck.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to give a big shoutout to Colby and Brian for coming down and opening up the yard. They even had the truck running for me! So I'm off to my first fresh tank of fuel. Truck looks to be running okay. So now I'm headed back to Colorado. We'll hook up the CUCV in a little while once we make sure the truck is running okay.

First lesson learned: try to talk to the actual person on the ground about doing the pickup instead of just talking to office people.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hit Glen's in Salina on your way back if you need anything for the truck, he is only 2-3 miles off I-70.

JohnnyBM931A2

I'd like to give a big shoutout to Colby and Brian for coming down and opening up the yard. They even had the truck running for me! So I'm off to my first fresh tank of fuel. Truck looks to be running okay. So now I'm headed back to Colorado. We'll hook up the CUCV in a little while once we make sure the truck is running okay.

First lesson learned: try to talk to the actual person on the ground about doing the pickup instead of just talking to office people.
Glad to hear it :) I hope the rest of the trip goes well!

74M35A2

What an exciting time. I think we all remember this point of our first pick up. Your hands are not digging to the bottom of your pant pockets, so you must not have refueled yet.

Congratulations and welcome.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks