• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

sewerzuk

I have a couple of projects in mind for the Deuce this winter...until those get underway, I thought I would keep this build alive with a short video clip from Mudfest earlier this year.

The driveway and parking lot were so muddy that almost every vehicle entering had to be towed into the parking area (and EVERY vehicle was a 4x4; no 2 wheel drives allowed). Instead of waiting for the bulldozer to drag the guy behind me up the hill, I just chained onto him with my deuce and dragged him up the hill! So, behind my deuce, I had one Suzuki Samurai, one F-350 4x4, one 14,000lb equipment trailer, and one custom buggy. Probably somewhere near 20,000lbs of weight in addition to the 13k that the Deuce weighs! I had all 6 tires spinning most of the way up the hill, but it pulled it just fine.

Video quality is a little crappy because somebody filmed it with their cell phone, but its still a neat shot...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_i9npYECp8[/media]

sewerzuk

If this has been covered already I apologize, but I saw this rig on a Warn add on tv
Yep; they shot that video at this location, on the day after the event. That's why the Warn stickers are all over the truck...

I have several minutes of raw footage of some 6 wheel drifts that I haven't uploaded. I'll get around to it one of these days.

plym49

Heath_h49008

I was wondering how the methanol % experiments were going.

I've been bench racing up a system, and wondering what the max safe meth load I can run is. (I need enough to keep it from freezing in Michigan winter weather... -20F is not uncommon in Jan-Feb.)

sewerzuk

I was wondering how the methanol % experiments were going.
I've been running 10%; I never did get any higher than that. No hint of detonation at that level, and I have run probably 3000 miles with it. I kept meaning to go higher, but haven't had a chance (or motivation) to do it just yet.

I have been dedicating my time to a waste oil centrifuge setup and running WMO/WHO in my deuce...

JCole

Why methanol over ethanol? And why not a 50/50 mix with water such as in winter window washer fluid? I would assume this you could run a rather high mixture as ethanol or methanol only has about 1/2 the stored energy of gasoline. Top alcohol drag engines run diesel-like compression ratios with lots of boost and don't detonate.

Don't take my word as gospel, I'm thinking out loud here. I figure the more you spray, the less likely you would be to detonate. **** turn up the fuel and Turbo.

sewerzuk

Why methanol over ethanol? And why not a 50/50 mix with water such as in winter window washer fluid? I would assume this you could run a rather high mixture as ethanol or methanol only has about 1/2 the stored energy of gasoline. Top alcohol drag engines run diesel-like compression ratios with lots of boost and don't detonate.

Don't take my word as gospel, I'm thinking out loud here. I figure the more you spray, the less likely you would be to detonate. **** turn up the fuel and Turbo.
In a gas vehicle, the water meth mixture is used to suppress detonation and reduce EGT at higher boost levels. Gasoline is either drawn in (carburetor) or sprayed in (injection) before the compression stroke, so there is an air/fuel mixture ready to go off at any point during this stroke. Spraying methanol cools the intake air. Since methanol has a very high octane rating, it won't ignite until the spark plug lights it off. Too much heat in the cylinder, too lean of a mixture, too low octane, (and more factors) can cause detonation in a gas engine. Since methanol cools the intake charge, it reduces detonation.

A diesel will not detonate (even at extremely high boost levels) on diesel alone, because there is no fuel in the combustion chamber to ignite until the injectors spray it in (at the end of the compression stroke).
In a diesel vehicle (because of higher compression ratios), the methanol can actually cause detonation (because it auto-ignites before the diesel is sprayed into the combustion chamber). The risk of detonation is higher as you run an increased concentration. The deuce has a rather high compression ratio (even for a diesel), so it is more sensitive than most diesels to the mixture of methanol.
The reason that water/meth is used in a diesel is ONLY to reduce EGT's; its use allows you to turn up the fuel at the IP without causing EGT's to get too high.

Last edited:

Heath_h49008

In a gas vehicle, the water meth mixture is used to suppress detonation and reduce EGT at higher boost levels. Gasoline is either drawn in (carburetor) or sprayed in (injection) before the compression stroke, so there is an air/fuel mixture ready to go off at any point during this stroke. Spraying methanol cools the intake air. Since methanol has a very high octane rating, it won't ignite until the spark plug lights it off. Too much heat in the cylinder, too lean of a mixture, too low octane, (and more factors) can cause detonation in a gas engine. Since methanol cools the intake charge, it reduces detonation.

A diesel will not detonate (even at extremely high boost levels) on diesel alone, because there is no fuel in the combustion chamber to ignite until the injectors spray it in (at the end of the compression stroke).
In a diesel vehicle (because of higher compression ratios), the methanol can actually cause detonation (because it auto-ignites before the diesel is sprayed into the combustion chamber). The risk of detonation is higher as you run an increased concentration. The deuce has a rather high compression ratio (even for a diesel), so it is more sensitive than most diesels to the mixture of methanol.
The reason that water/meth is used in a diesel is ONLY to reduce EGT's; its use allows you to turn up the fuel at the IP without causing EGT's to get too high.

To expand on this...

If you read the LDS troubleshooting manual, you see the reason we can run waste oil is because of the subtle difference between these Hypercycle engines and normal diesels. We have a puddle of fuel in the piston cup that has a fire on top WAAAAYYYY before the main combustion is supposed to occur. When that's diesel or oil that hasn't been mixed with air, it doesn't matter... but when that "Gas" above the flaming puddle is propane or vaporized Methanol it WILL explode... that's where the pre-ignition issues come from in the multifuels that have tried propane/meth injection.

It can be done at low levels... but once you have enough in vaporized in the cylinder to produce any real pressure, it does so too early... and we end up with the problem.

Search for jwaller (sp?) he builds water/meth injection kits, and will only run the bare minimum Meth for this reason.

sewerzuk

Made this video about a month ago using the deuce as a stick welding power supply; I've used this method a lot out on the trail with good success. The deuce works well because it already has a 24v electrical system. I posted this in a separate thread, but since this is my build thread I thought I should post it here too [thumbzup]
And, for all of the people who are going to say "Holy cow! That's SO dangerous!" or "your batteries are going to explode!" or "you're going to wreck your electrical system!", your concerns are duly noted. I've been welding with a pair of car batteries (as an emergency trail repair only, of course) for somewhere around 10 years; I have yet to destroy an alternator, battery, etc. because of this technique. No, its probably not "good" for the batteries, but my experience says that it won't destroy them as long as you don't let them become fully discharged.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vs7WCtRWE[/media]

Loco_Hosa

Made this video about a month ago using the deuce as a stick welding power supply; I've used this method a lot out on the trail with good success. The deuce works well because it already has a 24v electrical system. I posted this in a separate thread, but since this is my build thread I thought I should post it here too [thumbzup]
And, for all of the people who are going to say "Holy cow! That's SO dangerous!" or "your batteries are going to explode!" or "you're going to wreck your electrical system!", your concerns are duly noted. I've been welding with a pair of car batteries (as an emergency trail repair only, of course) for somewhere around 10 years; I have yet to destroy an alternator, battery, etc. because of this technique. No, its probably not "good" for the batteries, but my experience says that it won't destroy them as long as you don't let them become fully discharged.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3vs7WCtRWE[/media]
My father and I were both fascinated by this. What type of rod have you found to work the best?

Also, we were curious about the level of penetration into the metal?

sewerzuk

My father and I were both fascinated by this. What type of rod have you found to work the best?

Also, we were curious about the level of penetration into the metal?

I typically use 1/8" 6011 rod; it seems to work the best for the variety of situations you encounter outside of the shop.

With the 24v from the batteries in the truck, you can weld 1/4" without difficulty. You actually can control the heat with how close you hold the welding rod to the weld puddle...because you are using a constant voltage source with nearly unlimited current, the amount of current flow depends on how close the electrode is. This is quite a bit different than normal stick welding where a constant current power supply is the norm.
It doesn't replace the welder in the shop, but this method really does work well in an emergency or if you just can't get your welder to whatever needs to be welded.
I had a friend that used this method to build his entire jeep; bumpers, rock sliders, rollcage, etc. While I'm not suggesting anybody start building rollcages using this method, he did make it work. The quality of the welds has more to do with the person doing the welding than the method used...

Heath_h49008

I was wondering what % methanol you run in your truck, and what effects you have seen over time. Is your water freezing?

Nice install! I am seriously jealous of that winch.

Last edited:

sewerzuk

I was wondering what % methanol you run in your truck, and what effects you have seen over time. Is your water freezing?

Nice install! I am seriously jealous of that winch.
I'm still around 10%; nothing special noted over time. At 10%, there's no real noticeable power increase (although I'm sure there is a few extra HP). But, it does keep the water from freezing here in NW oregon. It rarely gets any colder than about 20 degrees F, so I don't have the same weather issues you face!

I only drive the truck about 20 miles a week, so I really don't go though that much methanol...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks