• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All this for a freeze plug?!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I was getting ready for a paint job before Aberdeen and I had just finished doing 2 pinion seals, transfer case input and output seals and a transmission output seals. I put it all back together and went for a test drive on a Friday night as I was taking a 50 mile trip the next day. About 5 miles from home, I thought I smelled coolant, so I pulled over at a gas station and sure enough, there was a steady stream of coolant flowing down onto the top of the front axle. I always keep a 5 gallon jerry can with water in it, so I topped it off and rode home.

Next morning, I pressurized the cooling system and threw a mirror behind the exhaust manifold and there was a stream coming down from between the deck and the block.

So began the great cylinder head party.

See captions for more info.

Attachments

FSBruva

so... you gonna do a writeup?

Nice pics, and good luck! Next year, I'll be available to help with deuce maintenance!

Matt

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As you can see, it ended up being a freeze plug, not a leaking head gasket.

So I went ahead and replaced all the freeze plugs in the heads. I even lined up the lettering in all the plugs so they were pointed the same (OCD). As I out one in, it started to rotate, so I knocked it out and put another in.

Some more pics, again, see captions for details.

Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6643020065169743531

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
so... you gonna do a writeup?
I suppose I'd call this a write up, but if anyone has any questions, fire away. I can't call myself an expert by any means.
Dang Clinto. Couldn't have been an end one right? You about done?
Of course!!!!!!

I now need to change the oil and flush the cooling system. I had straight water in the cooling system to start it (I figured if it leaked, better to leak tap water than distilled water, new coolant and SCA's). So I have t oflush it and refill it with fresh coolant, SCA's and distilled water.

Then, swap a few tires, wash it, load it up.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job clinto. Not too bad of a repair is it? Didn't bust a knucle when the wrench broke, I hope. Call Jay, he'll refund or credit you.

acetomatoco

A fine job... now you know why the military has the program to check the alkalinity of the coolant..it hopefully prevents a lot of problems like this one...Core plugs rusting out is not a common problem with truck engines..however sure are a pain when they fail...glad it worked out good for you... ACE

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too bad Snap-On doesn't make 465 head wrenches, I would buy one.
I believe they did, and the vintage Snap-On wrench part # is 8722924.(I don't think the are currently available though)
Glad you made it through all this with a little time to spare before Aberdeen!
Ps. the Primus brake parts cleaner in the picture above, is the same brand I use and like(cheap too) but I get mine at Walmart! Have you been shopping at Walmart, Clinto? :oops:
Also, how did you finish the torque job(with a broken wrench)? Were you able to use a flex socket to tighten the nuts under the injector holes(with the injectors out)?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
acetomatoco said:
A fine job... now you know why the military has the program to check the alkalinity of the coolant..it hopefully prevents a lot of problems like this one...Core plugs rusting out is not a common problem with truck engines..however sure are a pain when they fail...glad it worked out good for you... ACE
Us civilians can use Cooltrak to check for acidity and freeze point...find it on line, about $8.00 for 50 strips.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good job clinto. Not too bad of a repair is it? Didn't bust a knucle when the wrench broke, I hope. Call Jay, he'll refund or credit you.
Thanks. I don't know, I'd say this was a reasonably big job, just due to the weight of everything (makes a 440 Mopar seem like a lawnmower engine). Also, everything is inter-connected, so pulling anything off becomes time consuming.

I didn't bust a knuckle, I was expecting it to break, due to it's flexing. I called Saturn and they said I have to ship it back to them to get credit. Since I know they aren't going to get a credit for it from the manufacturer (I think it is surplus), my humble opinion is that they are just being difficult. That's fine, other places will take my money.

I believe they did, and the vintage Snap-On wrench part # is 8722924.(I don't think the are currently available though)
Glad you made it through all this with a little time to spare before Aberdeen!
Ps. the Primus brake parts cleaner in the picture above, is the same brand I use and like(cheap too) but I get mine at Walmart! Have you been shopping at Walmart, Clinto? :oops:
Wow, I would sure like to find a Snap-On head wrench!!! When I was a kid and had just started turning my own wrenches, I started buying Crapsman, but starting around '00, I began replacing it all with Snap-On and have never regretted it. Until you've used good and bad tools on a regular basis, you just don't realize what a difference there is.

I hate having to do a job like this this close to such a long trip, but I am gonna give the truck a good workout this weekend and make sure it isn't going to blow up halfway to Maryland.

Regarding the brake cleaner, I have a friend who gets me bulk (cases) of brake cleaner, I don't know where it comes from. I doubt Wal-Mart, but if it does, I'll stop getting it from him. I only buy sweet tea (only place in my little town that has the brand I like), Ragu pizza sauce (same as the tea) and the microwavable baked potatoes (same again) from Wal-Mart. I might be adding to our dependence on foreign oil with my toys, but I am darned sure not going to help export my own job(s) for a $7 toaster.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good Clinto, glad its done. Is that a hose bib I see at the water outlet? I concur with the Snap-On statement. I have that exact torque wrench and the 3/8 little brother. I bought them probably 30 years ago. Good Stuff!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Also, how did you finish the torque job(with a broken wrench)? Were you able to use a flex socket to tighten the nuts under the injector holes(with the injectors out)?
Ah, I forgot to mention that.

Many thanks to a good fellow in South Carolina who next day air shipped me his homemade wrench. Ya'll know him as BlythewoodJoe and he's a stand-up guy.

Also, many thanks to my Dad and my friend Dave, who helped me get the heads on and off and adjust the valves (Dave watched the rocker arms move while I turned the motor over with a prybar on the jackshaft between the tranny and transfer case).

And thanks to all the guys like Kenny, AM General, NickD, CGarbee and many others who offered advice and help.

MUCHO thanks to 2 different Steel Soldiers members who actually offered to let me drive their Deuces to Aberdeen if I couldn't get mine back together. I was speechless when they offered. Thank you fellas.

Thanks all, you guys rock! :beer:

And mucho thanks to my wonderful girlfriend who took all these great pics. She is a wizard with a camera, I don't really look this handsome in person.

Is that a hose bib I see at the water outlet? I concur with the Snap-On statement. I have that exact torque wrench and the 3/8 little brother. I bought them probably 30 years ago. Good Stuff!
Yes on the bib. They're the takeoffs for the heater hose. I didn't hok them back up for the test run. I will hook them up tonight. Going to add a coolant filter as well (ya'll would be shocked at what is inside your engine :shock: ).

Yeah, I have the 3/8" one as well. Outstanding. Every time I have had mine calibrated, they have been dead-nuts accurate.

No.2Diesel

[thumbzup] I concur with your stance on Big Box Stores Etc.

Did you adjust the valve lash with the truck running or just get hot and shut it down? When I first adjusted valves on my Swiss Timepiece (slant six) in my Valiant(my first mech. cam), I ran it till really hot, did half, then ran it again, finished and put the valve cover on. Fired it up and tick, tick, tick... aua I now always adjust valve lash on all mech. cam engines with them running and my hands in there.

Were the freeze plugs common sizes? Is electrolysis the culprit? Does freeze plug material type matter? In the future could you just use a boxed cat's paw wrench with an extension for the cyl. head nut? Or if they don't make a boxed cat's paw, just buy a regular one and a box wrench and cut em' up and weld em together.

Finally, nice thorough job.

Armada

GREAT pics and story Clinto! Not so great that you had the leak in the first place, but all ended well. Watched your vid and she's purring right along. Nice job. Bummer about the Saturn head wrench. I've got one as well but have not used it yet. May need to fab something up before I do need to use it. Did you get any pics of Blyth's?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks