• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All trucks running 395/85R20 tires.

rustystud

I have a question for anyone running 395/85r20 tires on there Deuce. What speed can you reach in 4th gear ? Not overdrive, just 4th gear, 1:1 ratio. The reason I'm asking is I'm considering running the single 395 tires, but I want to install my 3052 transmission in my truck. The reason is the gear shifting will be a normal progression with no extreme ratios like it has now. You have to admit the 2nd to 3rd shift is a bummer especially on a hill. With 395 tires and the 3052 transmission I'm hoping to still be able to go 55 mph. Will I be able too ?

Last edited by a moderator:

goldneagle

I have a question for anyone running 392 tires on there Deuce. What speed can you reach in 4th gear ? Not overdrive, just 4th gear, 1:1 ratio. The reason I'm asking is I'm considering running the single 392 tires, but I want to install my 3052 transmission in my truck. The reason is the gear shifting will be a normal progression with no extreme ratios like it has now. You have to admit the 2nd to 3rd shift is a bummer especially on a hill. With 392 tires and the 3052 transmission I'm hoping to still be able to go 55 mph. Will I be able too ?
I think you mean 395/85r20 tires?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have a question for anyone running 392 tires on there Deuce. What speed can you reach in 4th gear ? Not overdrive, just 4th gear, 1:1 ratio. The reason I'm asking is I'm considering running the single 392 tires, but I want to install my 3052 transmission in my truck. The reason is the gear shifting will be a normal progression with no extreme ratios like it has now. You have to admit the 2nd to 3rd shift is a bummer especially on a hill. With 392 tires and the 3052 transmission I'm hoping to still be able to go 55 mph. Will I be able too ?
You're talking about the 395/85R20 tires. They measure 46.7" tall new. We'll say 46" to make it an even number. Now a deuce stock with the OD trans would use a 9.00R20 tire that measures 40" tall.

3052: R 7.36 1st 7.55 2nd 4.18 3rd 2.45 4th 1.46 5th 1.00
3053A: R 5.9 1st 6.0 2nd 3.31 3rd 1.89 4th 1.0 5th 0.85

3052 trans/395 tire setup would be 2700rpm at 55mph.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've found that with 395s and 3053 trans, I travel about 62mph at 2500rpm. Works well for me. If you don't like that "hole" in the gears, start off with the T-case in low, run through the gears, then go to (tcase)high range to (trans)4th then 5th.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've found that with 395s and 3053 trans, I travel about 62mph at 2500rpm. Works well for me. If you don't like that "hole" in the gears, start off with the T-case in low, run through the gears, then go to (tcase)high range to (trans)4th then 5th.
Works well for me. ;)

welldigger

I have no trouble on hills running 395s and a 3053 transmission. This is with stock fuel settings. Maybe with a heavy load this could turn into a problem but that's what split shifting is for.

rustystud

I have no trouble on hills running 395s and a 3053 transmission. This is with stock fuel settings. Maybe with a heavy load this could turn into a problem but that's what split shifting is for.
Do they have hills in Louisiana ? Out here in the FootHills of the Cascades our hills can be real pains in the buttocks when it comes to shifting under load. One hill on the road into town gains over 300ft elevation in just 6 blocks. The last time I drove it, I missed 3rd and could not get it back into 2nd before I lost all speed. People behind me where being real A-holes about it. SIGH !

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I live around a foothills. Not what you face, but not flat. My deuce on 395's has a AC unit in the crate, full tarp/troop seats, HEAVY towbar, 5 ton transmission, a spare 395, bed crane, and a bunch of other crap. At least 3K lbs of junk in the bed at all times. I have no problem with it using the t-case on the hills to shift L-1-2-3-4-5-H-4-5. Course, I also have turned up the fuel a little and have gauges. But my boost stays under 12psi and 1050F EGT (post turbo).

rustystud

I live around a foothills. Not what you face, but not flat. My deuce on 395's has a AC unit in the crate, full tarp/troop seats, HEAVY towbar, 5 ton transmission, a spare 395, bed crane, and a bunch of other crap. At least 3K lbs of junk in the bed at all times. I have no problem with it using the t-case on the hills to shift L-1-2-3-4-5-H-4-5. Course, I also have turned up the fuel a little and have gauges. But my boost stays under 12psi and 1050F EGT (post turbo).
That is what I need to start doing, using the transfer case. The only problem is I have a bad back and a messed up shoulder, so it is hard for me to try and shift the transfer case on the fly. Now if "Lt Dan" can finish up his air shift transfer case mod and post his results maybe we can do something about this. :)
Patracy, why do you have a 5 ton transmission in your deuce? Is it for the weight you haul ? Also why did you put your EGT probe after the turbo ?

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

EGT probe goes in the exhaust manifold pre-turbo, as far as how fast with 395's mine (soon to be bonedoc's) runs 55-57 at 2100 rpm in 5th. As far as 4th...... Seems to me it tops out around 40 at 2200 rpm.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That is what I need to start doing, using the transfer case. The only problem is I have a bad back and a messed up shoulder, so it is hard for me to try and shift the transfer case on the fly. Now if "Lt Dan" can finish up his air shift transfer case mod and post his results maybe we can do something about this. :)
Patracy, why do you have a 5 ton transmission in your deuce? Is it for the weight you haul ? Also why did you put your EGT probe after the turbo ?
The 5 ton transmission is sitting in it. It's for my wrecker, 3rd and 4th syncros are gone in it. Just never got around to installing it since the wrecker just sits.

The gauge I had came with a band clamp style probe. No means to install it pre-turbo. Post turbo temps need to be 200f lower than pre-turbo temps.

skinnyR1

I have a question for anyone running 395/85r20 tires on there Deuce. What speed can you reach in 4th gear ? Not overdrive, just 4th gear, 1:1 ratio. The reason I'm asking is I'm considering running the single 395 tires, but I want to install my 3052 transmission in my truck. The reason is the gear shifting will be a normal progression with no extreme ratios like it has now. You have to admit the 2nd to 3rd shift is a bummer especially on a hill. With 395 tires and the 3052 transmission I'm hoping to still be able to go 55 mph. Will I be able too ?
If you ask me, the gap in the transmission is between 3rd and 4th. Any other shifts are relatively close and the truck has enough power to move to the next gear. 3rd to 4th is like an 8 or 900 rpm drop.

I run the 395's and 2400 rpm on the highway gets me 60 mph on a GPSs.

I live around quite a few hills. The split shift technique previously described works well. Also, I will start in 2L and jump right to 2H to skip the 1H to 2H shift if Im starting on a hill.

Some of the hills I can't pull in 4th or shift up to 4th so I end up running out 3rd, which is why I say there is such a huge gap between 3rd and 4th (high).

rustystud

If you ask me, the gap in the transmission is between 3rd and 4th. Any other shifts are relatively close and the truck has enough power to move to the next gear. 3rd to 4th is like an 8 or 900 rpm drop.

I run the 395's and 2400 rpm on the highway gets me 60 mph on a GPSs.

I live around quite a few hills. The split shift technique previously described works well. Also, I will start in 2L and jump right to 2H to skip the 1H to 2H shift if Im starting on a hill.

Some of the hills I can't pull in 4th or shift up to 4th so I end up running out 3rd, which is why I say there is such a huge gap between 3rd and 4th (high).
Your right, I "miswrote" (get it, miswrote instead of misspoke ! I know, it's late, I'm tired, it was a hard day at work ) when I said the 2 to 3 shift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks