• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All wheel drive all wheel steering vehicles

DouglasCo

I can't find a m1070 for sale anywhere, plus i couldn't afford it. What other all wheel steer all wheel drive vehicles are there? I'd like to find something in the tractor style as apposed to the 8x8's. I know the little chevy aircraft tugs were, but would like something a little bigger. Surely theres something i'm overlooking. I thought overkill was the name of the game. Need it to haul on the bed and on trailers. 80ton capacity would be nice, but i'd like to see any aws/awd vehicles.

Victor

This is very interesting...
so are you looking for tractor 6x6 or 8x8 configuration? may be 10x10:p
80 ton .. wow it is a load. I don't remember but I think where is limit weight per axle like 20-30,000lb (?). And steer axle is 15,000 lb. I am not sure numbers exactly.
So if number about right 160,000 lb divided by 15,000 lb you are looking for 20x20 tractor.
Sweet ...

DouglasCo

This is very interesting...
so are you looking for tractor 6x6 or 8x8 configuration? may be 10x10:p
80 ton .. wow it is a load. I don't remember but I think where is limit weight per axle like 20-30,000lb (?). And steer axle is 15,000 lb. I am not sure numbers exactly.
So if number about right 160,000 lb divided by 15,000 lb you are looking for 20x20 tractor.
Sweet ...

What are you saying? That DOT limits steering axles to 15k? I'd like to see proof of that. But I wasn't looking to cross the scales anyways.

emr

wierd post, U think all MV's are over built? and there are alot of all wheel drive all wheel steer ones out there ? and an M1070 is all wheel steer? I think U need to do some homework .....2cents... whats with the political views ? in your thingy? this is an MV talk site.

Last edited:

Victor

Douglas,
As I wrote, "I am not sure" however, take a look on tire specs what is max load capacity. You can't put dual steer tire.
So take load capacity and x2. This will be your max.
I am looking right now on 425x65x22.5 XZL, I guess it's closest to 16R20 by specs. It has 11,400 lb max load capacity.
So your axle can't be more 22,800 lb.
Sorry not 15k, but still 16x16.
Hey search for "TOPOL" this think is big.
;)

Alredneck

Banned
All wheel drive, all wheel steer, none. At least for that weight or on the highway. The HET ( M1070 ) is front steer and rear most axle steer but is exspensive. The trailer the goes with it ( M747 maybe ? ) is all wheel steer controled by the tractor pulling it. M920 would be 8x6 but only the front steer and it has the floater axle but would think hauling 80tons would be way to much for it. The Hemmt tractor is over groos at 80tons as well.

You do realize 80tons is 160,000lbs right! A M1a1 tank comes in around the 70ton mark!

Victor

Ye! Good point. That you got for load?
if you going off road - you need to keep 25 psi before you sink into ground. even you put widest tire 24R21 your wheel formula must be 14x14. We taking 14 tires 24R21, about $3,000 each. do the math.

Victor

O&K?
i deal with them in mid east for 15 years. RH40 is 105 ton however, we broke on peaces when transporting usually carriage, main body, lower boom, upper boom, shovel.
Also cat38x is heavy too. We took apart as well.
You should take a look on HET with steer trailer for Abrams. Cool setup.

mudguppy

I can't find a m1070 for sale anywhere, plus i couldn't afford it. What other all wheel steer all wheel drive vehicles are there? I'd like to find something in the tractor style as apposed to the 8x8's. I know the little chevy aircraft tugs were, but would like something a little bigger. Surely theres something i'm overlooking. I thought overkill was the name of the game. Need it to haul on the bed and on trailers. 80ton capacity would be nice, but i'd like to see any aws/awd vehicles.
in all honesty, you're barking up the wrong tree.

first of all, for what you want doesn't exist in the military inventory. there is nothing AWS.

secondly, what does exist is marginal, to say the least. case in point: even if you could get an M1070 (which you can't), do you really believe that a 450hp 8v92T has enough balls to pull 210,000 lbs off road???

if you think the answer is 'yes', then you need a reality check. the HET is a dog; it is one of the worst vehicles ever bought by the US gob't. everything that sucks about the PLS is exemplified by the HET. i've driven them fully loaded. i've worked on them. i've waited on them in my convoys in Iraq. possibly the only exception is the UK variant of the HET; it runs a 700hp Cat and much better trailer design. ... but you can't get that, either.

where you need to be looking is in the heavy duty commercial market. i'd start with land-based oil drilling trucks. next i'd look at Australian-based Kenworth rigs that haul the 'land trains' across the outback - these trucks have more than the GVWR you are looking for, can be had in AWD and will have more than enough power to do it all in-stride / at-speed.

the US military stuff may look the part, but we have to make a lot of concessions in order to make it to point 'B' with this stuff. it says a lot when the 'killers' have to slow down to wait on their logistic support vehicles when making a run through the desert sands.

hate to be a kill-joy, but wanted to share my personal experience.

Alredneck

Banned
Dave thats what I was thinking, M747/M1000 all wheel steer controlable ride height, the bells n whistles!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks