• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

all wheel drive problems need help asap

jrobinson5093

I have searched for hours to try and figure out what is wrong but no luck. My front axel does not pull in forward gears, it will work most of the time in reverse. It is a sprag type transfer case and i have adjusted the linkage like the manual says. i can pic up one front tire with it in a forward gear and turn it and it feels like it locks in but as soon as you put a little pressure on it is slips. does any one have any idea what is happing and how to fix it?:-(aua

jrobinson5093

yes 100% when backing up some times i get a lot of chassie bind never in forward. and i have gotten under the truck and had one tire lifted and some times it will lock and i can take a pipe wrench and with very little effort i can feel something in the transfer case let go would be the best way to put it.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a sprag case you should never get any binding forward or backward.
What you are describing sounds like you have a broken forward sprag race. This is not uncommon, the outer race cracks, it will feel like it locks but under load will spread the crack and slip.
The only way to really tell is to pull the front shaft and look at the sprag assembly.
Be ABSOLUTELY sure that the adjustment is good, even overage it (for testing only). If you can turn a front wheel at all there is a malfunction.

jrobinson5093

when i got the truck the linkage was broken i fixed it and put it back on and adjusted it then and several time since just to make sure. i dont know what broke the linkage but the awd didnt work at all before i fixed it and as soon as i did the reverse worked.

jrobinson5093

I have thought about that JTand i probably will someday but as with every body right now money is a little tight so if i can just fix this one for now I will manage. but thanks though for the thought. I eventually wanna put a airshift and lockers in each axel, thats my wish list any way.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...................... the awd didnt work at all before i fixed it and as soon as i did the reverse worked.

Let me explain this again....: By default the sprag TC operates in AWD - FORWARD (= forward sprag clutch engaged), all the time, with the tranny in NEUTRAL position or ANY forward gear selected, or even the linkage completely disconnected! An internal coil spring keeps it that way.
All the mentioned linkage actually does is push the TC shift rod IN (to the back of vehicle) about 7/8" to enable the reverse sprag whenever the tranny is put in REVERSE gear. (see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/32130-shifting-sprag-tc-how-works.html)

AWD not working at all before hooking up the shift linkage pretty much indicates that the front sprag clutch is either worn or broken.

Have you read this thread? http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/45549-sprag-clutch-rebuild-repair.html

G.

Attachments

jrobinson5093

i understand you i believe that the linkage broke and that put the tc in forward awd then some one put the truck in reverse and backed up and by doing this busted the forward sprag. so as soon as i get a chance i am gonna take the front out put shaft out and check. my best guess is i will be gettin me a new sprag pretty soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks