• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allis Chalmers engines

kenz5380

Does anyone know what all of these allis chalmers 4 and 6 cylinder turbo diesel engines came out of? I see them all over GL but I've never actually seen one in use in the military.[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica] I don't know anything about them, but there seems to be a lot of them and I'm sure I could come up with a good use. I even saw a bunch of brand new ones out in Cali a few months ago. I would have bid, but I don't know anything about them and an internet search didn't come up with much.

PS- I have no idea why some of this is bold and black and some is not. IT seems that this thing is just picking fonts for me
[/FONT]

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Because the CUCV forum is the one I read.
Others DON'T, some, if thay see cucv do not read, so what your saying is, never mind the rules concerning the different forum categories, if it is good and easy for me then that is all I care about. Sure clad most SSers are NOT LIKE this because almost ALL of the SS family members go out of there way and put good and easy for there self LAST, this is ONE of the MAIN things that makes SS so GREAT

kenz5380

No one asked you to read the thread. This is exactly the kind of thing that has turned off many people I know to this site. If you write an innocent question based on pure curiosity in the wrong forum you get your head bitten off. At the end of the day this is a hobby that is supposed to be FUN. If you are not having FUN, but getting so angry over little mistakes then maybe you should try something else. I also value the selfless advice that is doled out here from experienced hobbyists, but I sure don't get all worked up about defending it from people who are just asking simple questions and may be in the wrong forum. Holy Cow, Mr. 73m819 has indicted me for being selfish and lazy. LIGHTEN UP! If you read my post you would know that I had no Idea what vehicles these engines came out of. Me, being pretty new to the site, didn't know that there was a "conversations" forum. Now I know, you could have just pointed me in the right direction. Once again, take it easy.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
No one asked you to read the thread. This is exactly the kind of thing that has turned off many people I know to this site. If you write an innocent question based on pure curiosity in the wrong forum you get your head bitten off. At the end of the day this is a hobby that is supposed to be FUN. If you are not having FUN, but getting so angry over little mistakes then maybe you should try something else. I also value the selfless advice that is doled out here from experienced hobbyists, but I sure don't get all worked up about defending it from people who are just asking simple questions and may be in the wrong forum. Holy Cow, Mr. 73m819 has indicted me for being selfish and lazy. LIGHTEN UP! If you read my post you would know that I had no Idea what vehicles these engines came out of. Me, being pretty new to the site, didn't know that there was a "conversations" forum. Now I know, you could have just pointed me in the right direction. Once again, take it easy.
Because the CUCV forum is the one I read.[/QUOTE]

This answer is why I posted, NOT because you posted in the CUCV section. the answer does not say, oops, didn't know about the conversation, or other forums ????? you have to see ALL the other forums just looking for CUCV threads, This is one of the reasons SEARCH is so hard to use at times, WHO would think to look for AC engine info in the CUCV forums

jimmy-90

Are you planning to drop one of those motors into your cucv? Under those circumstances the cucv forum would be the right place for this thread. If so I'd be interested in hearing more.

kenz5380

I have been in the market for an engine to put in my cucv. That was why I brought it up, but it was really just a theoretical idea to see if anyone knew anything about them. I don't know enough about the engines to say yes or no yet, but if I got my hands on one of those brand new ones right out of the wrapper I would seriously consider trying it in my m1008 just to see how it would work. The hard part would be coming up with a tranny adapter, and motor mounts and all of that. Its fun to be a little different, but it can be hard too when no one else has any any idea about the engine you have. If I see one of the new ones again going for cheap I may pick it up. It may find its way into my truck, we'll just have to see. Does anyone know how much power they make?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where the best place is to get parts?
Any AGCO dealer can get you parts.

I am very familiar with Allis engines but are usure of which ones you are talking about. If you had a engine number I could give you more info.

kenz5380

The ones I've seen lately are Model 10000 SN120489, SN120615 does that help? I'd be interested to know what kind of power they make and what sort of bolt pattern they have, or if they are even capable of being mated to a vehicular transmission?

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This link is for an Allis Chalmers motor sold in Columbus. I've heard this 6 cylinder diesel was found in the D21 tractors of the ealy 60's.

NIIN/NSN report from IHS, The Source for Critical Information and Insight (tm)

If the op was thinking of an AC motor for his CUCV, he was in the right forum. If the discussion of the motor was not vehicle connected then it should go in the Auxillary Equipment forum since these engines were most often powering gensets and pumps.

Pics of a D21 at work.

Attachments

Westech

CPL
I think you are trying to cover your butt saying you want to install one in your cucv.... come on.. no one was beating you up. I stated you should have moved it. but whatever.....

I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel by installing that engine in a CUCV. I am betting for the cost of a adapter plate for that engine and motor mounts (Even is you are Red Green handy) will cost more then a used or even new 6.2 engine. I am also betting that the engine you have requested information about is Less HP then a J code 6.2. Remember your 6.2 is 155-165 HP. Not bad. If you know how to tune it right for about $125.00 bucks you can get on the door step of 200 HP EZ and with Great fuel mileage.

Missed it by 2 hp.

Last edited:

nattieleather

I bet the motor seeing that it was used in tractors, bulldozers and gen sets would have a lot a power and a lot of grunt to it. The problem may be adapting, but if it was put in farm tractors then maybe making it work in a truck wouldn't be as difficult as thought....no more than say making a 4bt fit which was originally designed for equipments like gen sets and backhoes etc.

jvrotter

I have an Allis Chalmers generator with a 4 cyl diesel engine. Looking at it, it would be more adaptable to something like a M151 which I think would be pretty cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks