Allison 1545 Automatic Transmission Specs

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

HDN

I saw this posted in the 1545 failure poll and was surprised to see it wasn't repeated here:

Not exactly the thread for this, but I'm trying to (discretely) spam this info I just found about AT 1545s:

For those 1545s with serial #s GREATER than 321-101-6535 (or retrans GREATER than 9108-0912-20), there is a newer option for the front pump. This newer option involves replacing the front pump and stator. It retains the lockup. Darpco in Dallas (likely among others) can assist with this.

Good luck!
SJ

HDN

I have a 545 and I have changed the transmission fluid and filters ... it seems to be doing fine except if I don't hold the peddle to the floor when speeding up the transmission jerks when going from 3rd to 4th ....any ideas about what could be going on ?
It is my understanding that this is normal behavior for the 545 transmission. My truck and another owner's do the same thing. It just clunks into 4th gear, and the tranny takes its time shifting into third. I almost thought it was going into another gear between where it felt second and third were!

FWIW my experience has only been with the motor oil it came with. I plan on switching to ATF in the spring.

rustystud

I have a 545 and I have changed the transmission fluid and filters ... it seems to be doing fine except if I don't hold the peddle to the floor when speeding up the transmission jerks when going from 3rd to 4th ....any ideas about what could be going on ?
To much "governor" pressure. Your using "modulator" pressure to counter-act the high "governor" pressure when you hold the pedal to the floor.
The governor weights could be sticking. Take it apart and clean it real good.

HDN

To much "governor" pressure. Your using "modulator" pressure to counter-act the high "governor" pressure when you hold the pedal to the floor.
The governor weights could be sticking. Take it apart and clean it real good.
I'll have to get this checked out now. Although my jerk may be different from the other guy's jerk. Probably best for me to get it checked out at the local Allison shop and have them do the ATF conversion as well!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks