• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison 654 behind 12v cummins?

cmor1200

lookin for anybody's input..........

I have a 97 3500 4x4 dodge with a cummins and an thinking about putting a allison 654 with t1138 T case in it. Have I lost my mind? Any constructive input from you guys with knowledge on the trans/Tcase? I know the trans/Tcase is bigger and heaver, but by how much? Will it bolt to the engine with the right adapter, what issues will I have with the TQ, Will the truck frame even support this install, the engine will make lots of TQ with simple mods, and I'm just looking for possible alternatives to spending the big bucks to upgrade the auto that's in it now while staying a way from as much electronics as possible.

Thanks for your input!

spicergear

I'm not the expert on these parts so I hope you don't mind me throwing in on this. That Allison is big...though you may stand a slim chance of making that fit. The 1138T is big. It's kinda really big. I think that alone would be enough to snuff out the any flames of this idea actually coming to fruition. Any chance you could make whatever trans you like work with an NP205 that you could put a Gear Vendors overdrive on? You could use that to split gears then too.

On the flip side of that...I had a guy argue with me about putting a 3053A in an M715 to the point he wouldn't even quote me a price!!! I made sure to point out how well it did fit after installation. :mrgreen: Interested to see what you turn up!

mudguppy

besides the neat factor, you'd be so far ahead by just buying a 47rh from Goerend. big truck parts are, well, big which will make them extremely hard to fit. they are also very expensive to buy and service. let alone, the cost for all the little items for a swap like this would likely eat up more than you want (engine adapter, drive shafts, wiring, shifter linkage, etc.).

do the Goerend trans - it was made to fit and will hold anything the cummins will put out.

cmor1200

Thanks guys, I did get a chance to look under a 5 ton yesterday, and, wow, what big parts are under there:-o. that T case looks like some 4 cyl engines I've worked on. I've run across a deal for the 5 ton parts for a good price. This is my first diesel(3500) and love it, just still feeling sticker shock for a built 47, and looking for options. I do have a torch and not afraid to use it.
Still not ready to give up...

Agree with mudguppy on the Goerend trans. I rode in an older Dodge diesel a few years ago that was running mid 12's with a Goerend trans. That truck did truck pulls and constant drag races and held up to the abuse that driver subjected it to.

The transfer cases in the Dodge diesels at least to my knowledge aren't a weak link unless you do something really stupid. I don't recall seing anybody with a non stock transfer case in the high HP Dodge diesels I've seen. I'd leave that alone unless you like to make work for yourself and want to carry extra t-case weight and figure out the air shift activation for the front drive.

If you want something that stands up to abuse put a built NV4500 5spd in it. A Cummins sounds ALOT better rowing through a manual trans than any slushbox/Allison/Dodge auto,etc.

mudguppy

... just still feeling sticker shock for a built 47...
remember, Goerend sells a lot of options between a 'freshened 47' and the full-tilt $7k+ race trans; you don't need that.

rather, a good torque converter and upgraded valve body goes quite a ways. after that, then you need to crack it open and install varying stages of rebuild items and billet components to your liking. however, rarely is this really a necessity unless you're big into drag racing, sled pulling, or Diesel Power Challenge contestant.

get realistic w/ your goals and power expectations and call Goerend - I've heard nothing but great things about those guys (i.e. being real and not trying to 'up-sell' you just to make another buck).

cmor1200

Been doing some more checking, looks like 5k for a 47re built to handle the loads I want to tow, so what do you guys think of running the allison 654, 205 T case, and changing the gears in the rear ends,.....also looking at a Brown Lipe auxiliary transmission for O/D. Any ideas on what the 654 is rated for TQ and hp? It's still looking cheaper to go this way, if I dont count all the fab work, but I'll do that myself. Let me have your input:driver:

91W350

Sounds like you are exceeding the GVW your truck was designed to work with. The 12V can make amazing power, proven many times. Maybe you should BE thinking about putting your 12V in a larger truck. I am not recommending an 80 mph deuce either. Some guys build some amazing things, but if you hurt somebody with your rig and some slick attorney catches on, you will likely lose everything you own and most of what you would have owned. Keep your loads within your equipment's designed limits. It will make the road safer for all of us.

cmor1200

Oh no guys, I like the right lane just fine, the total weight I'm looking to pull is 12k, max., but I want to do it all the time, not just on the weekends. I'm looking at a job that will require me to travel a lot, far from home and with my family, being safe and not getting stuck on the side of the road is my primary concern. I like my truck very much, just looking for ideas to overcome the weak link, and the fact that I've found such a good price on the allison and T Case, I'm looking for advice if this will meet my goals, dont plan to make tons of pwr out of the motor, but a little improvements seem to destroy the stock trans, and I want to stay with a auto. I am concerting scraping the whole thing, selling my dodge and getting a M923a2, just the ride wouldn't be the same as my dodge

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks