• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison Behind the Multifuel

cornrichard

I just did 240 miles straight through in my 915a1 with an allison. It was a real treat. I hope yours makes driving as much of a pleasure as the a1 does.

shannondeese

I was going to put an Allison RDS 2500 behind the multi but backed out due using the trans in another project. I still think about it and maybe one of these days I'll make it back to the project.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is true that the trans doesn't have an overdrive, it's going to slow your top speed down quite a bit.

I accually like shifting gears and wouldn't install a auto if somebody gave me one. To each his own I guess. :driver:

bottleworks

Yes, the MT 647 is direct drive in 4th gear. The MT 647 has the same specs as the 643. The 647 is just a bit beefer for transit use. I will be mounting larger tires once the trans is installed. This should equal out the gearing difference. I only drive the truck locally anyways.

I paid $280 for a surplus lot that included the transmission and about $280 worth of steel and aluminum. In the end, I should have zero in the trans. At first, I was going to use a B400 (w/ retarter) trans, but this deal was too good to pass up.

The trans is the easiest part to acquire. It's all the other bits and parts that will be the PITA.

ALFA2

bottleworks, that is a great deal, what other parts you will need to make it work with a Deuce ?

Is the transfer going to have to be moved back ?

Please keep posting as it develops.

Thanks,
ALFA2

bottleworks

bottleworks, that is a great deal, what other parts you will need to make it work with a Deuce ?
It's closer to what isn't needed. It will need SAE #1 to #2 bell housing adapter, crankshaft spacer, flex plates, starter ring gear, oil to coolant cooler, piping for associated cooler, drive shafts, Allison shifter, TV valve linkage, 5 ton MF bell housing w/ true #1 SAE pattern, and a lot more.

To power the winch, it will be converted to full hydro. This trans has a PTO provision. There will be a hydro pump running off that PTO. That alone adds a lot of additional parts and cost.

This project will progress as fast as money and time allows.

bottleworks

The truck is very low on my "To Do List". I haven't touched it. In time, I'll get around to it. I have been gathering parts here and there. Once I've got all the main bits rounded up, then something might happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks