• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison HT740 transmission

alan007

Anything with an SAE #1 flywheel that put out 445HP or less at 1400ft-lbs or less peak torque. Really common in the private sector too - my Bus has one.

One thing to watch for - the lock-up clutch on the military version is aggressive, this is why they had to put anti-lock brakes in the M939 series trucks. Guys were stomping on the brakes and the lock-up clutch wouldn't release, killing the engine and thus the power steering.

[Edit:] Should note, the lock-up clutch is accessible via a hydraulic port - you can add a solenoid valve and make the lock-up clutch controllable. I have a full factory service manual if you have any questions [/Edit]
I would certainly like the information on adding a solenoid valve. I have a 900 series truck with 1000 miles on it. We can't get that lock up feature to release... obviously it kills the motor. Thanks for any additional information you may have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks