• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison Transmission in M923A1

engineer233

As of now it appears to be the passenger side . When I took the hub off there was metal dust and 1 or 2 small metal fragments coming out of the hub. The wheel bearings are fine . How hard is it to replace the axle ?

Hoefler

This does not sound good. Its either a complete replacement or discover where the metal is coming from. If there is metal that far out on the axel spindle, and the bearings are fine, it seem that the CV joint might be the culprit.

engineer233

I tore down the passenger side and the only bad thing I found was the spindle bushing. It was wore paper thin , mushroomed out , and was breaking off. I'm going to order one in the morning . When I put this back together I hope this does it. Not ever having done it , how hard is it to replace the bearings in the differential ?

engineer233

My truck only made the noise when I drove it. I ordered my parts today and I pray this was the only problem. I will let you all know. Let us know if you find out exactly what your trouble is.

engineer233

My c-bearing kind moves if I use a bar but I think it is just the rubber part of it moving. I took the front drive shaft off earlier just to see if that was the trouble but it wouldn't. I love my deuce. It is by far my favorite truck I own.

Hoefler

Well, I removed the front axel covers and checked wheel movement and noise-its clean and no grinding or free play. Put them back on and still get a bit of harshness. Looked at removing the front drive shaft-lot of work here. Will save that for another day. I did shoot some WD40 in where the shaft passes through carrier bearing. Its now not as harsh-do you know if there is an actual bearing in the carrier? Is it greaseable?
I did try this in 6WD hi and low range. The transfer case on my truck shifts well.

engineer233

My front end felt the same . It wasn't until I removed the front wheel, hub , and spindle til I found my problem. With all of this apart I greased the universal joint in the axle, replaced the spindle bushing, buttoned it all back together and topped off the gear oil and all is well with mine now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks