• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allison transmission

57lafrance

Can anyone advise if an Allison HT 740 will bolt to a continental R6602.
I am thinking about putting an automatic into my fire truck but i dont know if it would be compatible with a gas engine.

Thanks in advance

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are different bell housing bolt patterns. SAE number one is the Cummins 400 big cam and Detroit 70 and 90 series. The military ht740 trans has this pattern I believe it's the most common. You need to figure out what bolt pattern your engine has. The ht740 is for high torque diesel motors in the 1400 ft lb range. You might be better off with something a bit lighter duty.

57lafrance

The more i research, i think its gonna be to much.

I have another question. I need the torque specs for the bolts that hold the vibration damper

Thanks

BrushMaster Builder

If this is a Deuce, I would re-power the truck with a 12 valve mechanical 5.9 BT Cummins and a AT540 Allison. They are both pretty cheap, easy mechanical engine and trans combo to install and work on and they would both fit nicely in a Deuce package without too much trouble.

quickfarms

If this is a Deuce, I would re-power the truck with a 12 valve mechanical 5.9 BT Cummins and a AT540 Allison. They are both pretty cheap, easy mechanical engine and trans combo to install and work on and they would both fit nicely in a Deuce package without too much trouble.
The MT643 is a much better trans than the AT540 due to the torque converter lockup.

The truth is the op wants to put the Allison behind a gasser in an old fire truck.

The real problem you might have is the length of the trans is about 30". Depending on how your pump is set up that might be an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks