• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

allison trouble shooting code questions

coachgeo

recent upgrade to my home computer caused no file names to appear.... so I cant find my allison trouble shoot guide. My apologies... (searched in here too)

recently.... (and this scares $hiat out of me) i am getting "trans over temp " warning light somewhere near middle to end of a half hour drive on this six years ago? complete rebuilt trans. (A0 Wtech II).

Some codes below may be from last night I hit low voltage issue again... (no alternator working.... and I didnt charge at work before heading home.. which has not been an issue lately.... was last night though)

codes: (D# flashes followed by left side screen / right screen)
D1 : 1/3 and 1/2 (13 - 12?)
D2: 1/3
D3: 2/4
D4 and D5: -/- which I assume to mean no error codes

what tya think

Last edited:

coachgeo

Some codes below may be from last night I hit low voltage issue again... (no alternator working.... and I didnt charge at work before heading home.. which has not been an issue lately.... was last night though)

codes: (D# flashes followed by left side screen / right screen)
D1 : 1/3 and 1/2 (13 - 12?)
D2: 1/3
D3: 2/4
D4 and D5: -/- which I assume to mean no error codes

what tya think
seems via online code manual 13 12 is love voltage.... aka- not related to over heating

the other two D's not having sub codes confuse me; though 24 as primary code is about temps, and 13 is about voltages

PS- engine temps are fine

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is why a laptop setup with Allison DOC, CAT ET, etc is an invaluable tool for the the DIY owner of our trucks...... unless you have just piles of money laying around that you can afford towing / recovery to a professional shop when any of the computers goes on coffee break. You can't troubleshoot computerized systems effectively without consulting the computer and keypad button sequences is an emergency last ditch program to try to get some vague direction from the TCM. Without live data and the ability to see freeze frame data, perform diagnostic tests, etc - you are resorting to stone knives and bear skins. I find it astonishing how many people just wander off into the sticks with these trucks and have limited or no ability to diagnose and monitor the computerized systems. Every single person I have built and supplied a laptop to has thanked me repeatedly for saving them untold amounts of time and money. Along with ECO hubs and Gen 2 cab AC - a diagnostic solution is in the top five best things you can do for your truck and your own sanity.

Ronmar

Yea, each D memory location should have two sets of numbers associated with it, IE 22-14. Was the mode light lit with any code(active fault)?

To clear codes, Press and hold the mode button. You will hear a beep at 3 seconds(clears current faults), and again at 10 seconds(clears all stored faults). Then go drive it again and look for codes.

The data connector for the wtec2 on the A0 is a little different/old school. You need an interface compatible with that to adapt to a PC and the appropriate Allison doc software... or something like a prolink9000 with the appropriate allison woeld trans cartridge...

coachgeo

Yea, each D memory location should have two sets of numbers associated with it, IE 22-14. Was the mode light lit with any code(active fault)?

To clear codes, Press and hold the mode button. You will hear a beep at 3 seconds(clears current faults), and again at 10 seconds(clears all stored faults). Then go drive it again and look for codes.

The data connector for the wtec2 on the A0 is a little different/old school. You need an interface compatible with that to adapt to a PC and the appropriate Allison doc software... or something like a prolink9000 with the appropriate allison woeld trans cartridge...
no "mode" display, Mode button did not illuminate either. will follow up more tomorrow.

Side note- the heater fan EATS power. Thimking thru all the times getting home "barely" with trans not getting enough voltage to operate (under 22v)... was when heater fan was on full blast.... like last night when ... cause nervous of trans over heat occuring again... had the heater, w/fan blasting. Today... hotter ambient temps, so used fan till recognized... "crap volt meter dropping quck"; so turned it off...... net result... got to work still at 24v and no trans overheat. At night got home w/headlights (no fan), no over heat .... 23-ish volt remaining...aka- did not go below the 22v when trans is very unhappy and in limpish mode.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks