• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

allowable groove depth on axle spindle from ctis air seals

TGUNN

I have an m923a2 with CTIS and i've encountered what i believe are grooves in the spindle where the seals ride that are too deep for the air seals to make a good seal causing a loud shrieking whistle from that hub. Any remedy for this or is it new spindle time...? and if it is, does anyone have a line on a replacement?.... i know there's a process called flame spraying where they accumulate new metal on the void of a shaft or axle, then they machine it back to spec and smooth it out., in this case providing a new surface for the seal to ride on......or possibly tig welding the grooves full with new metal and doing the same machining on a lathe. thought? thanx brothers.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a mobile machine shop that can do that, but they only do drive axles. Per their insurance won't allow them to do it on a steer axle, but maybe for a few extra bucks they might make an exception. Try these guys http://axleals.com/

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might also check with a hydraulic cylinder repair shop, to see if they can chrome them, then turn them back down to the original OD.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Install a SPEEDY SLEEVE, this is WHAT they are made for, your problem FIXED in 15 min, no welding, turning, ect.. also REPLACE the seal.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another random idea, as I’m cheap and speedy-sleeves are not.
If there are any crankshaft repair shops around, might also be an option, check with your local speed shops to see if any still exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just going to suggest that. As always, you are smarter than I....
What that I’m full of....

random ideas, or cheap?

Used to be “Don’s crankshaft” in the hood downtown Cincy. Great work at incredibly reasonable prices (like $70 to build up and grind a crank and resize one rod). Went to have some work done a few years ago, and the building was abandoned with all their signs still in place, could find no fresh signs of them on the interweb. I could have spent days just looking at all the “junk” laying around in that dilapidated old building while they where still in operation.

Guess they where too cheap, like me...

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Install a SPEEDY SLEEVE, this is WHAT they are made for, your problem FIXED in 15 min, no welding, turning, ect.. also REPLACE the seal.
There should not be any bearing interference, this is for the seal to ride on, a speedy sleeve is the CHEAPEST fix you will find, a LOT cheaper then welding and machining

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks