• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Allright Pros, need some help! Brake question

Keith_J

Most of the replacement wheel cylinders didn't have cup expanders on the springs. The master cylinders also often have check valve breathers. The inferior wheel cylinders and check valve breathers work together to make wheel cylinders leak. Since wheel cylinders have an SMR code of PAOZZ, they are installed at the unit and worn ones thrown in the trash. This problem was never noted and corrected.

But because we source the parts, we can overhaul wheel cylinders for 1/10th the price! And the kits come with CUP EXPANDERS!!!! With DOT 5, wheel cylinders don't corrode. At the most, 30 seconds of honing. Even if you don't have the hone, buying one will have you in good brakes for less than buying new wheel cylinders.

Oh, that check valve breather? With changing temperature, pressure inside also changes. When the pressure drops, the wheel cylinder cups WITHOUT exapnders can loose seal, allowing brake fluid to leak. Dust and dirt follows, causing wear which makes the leak worse.

If your brakes fail in storage, application of air pressure through the hole in the master cylinder cap will reseat the cups, restoring brakes in minutes. Seconds if you have a battery operated tire inflator, fittings and hose. But definitely take that wheel off soon and service leaking cylinders. And get the overhaul kits with the expanders on the springs.

NoLeftTurns

Steel do you have any local ideas for transportation? I don't know what it should cost to have towed. I need to move a deuce from Craig to Arvada. Same boat, runs but no brakes. Would love to meet your crew (MVCC) but y'all are so far south.

Vanniek - look at GL. You could prolly find a deuce or a 5 ton.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Steel do you have any local ideas for transportation? Would love to meet your crew (MVCC) but y'all are so far south...
No, I don't have any ideas on transporting. I've been lucky so far and have bought runners (with brakes). Maybe we can have a meeting a little more North for our Northern friends. We have a Member in Erie that has let us use his facility before. You can always catch a parade or event in and around Denver also. Be sure and check out the website: www.mvcconline.org

Vanniek71

:ditto: Ooops ! missed it by 1 post !

Super nice for 4000/4500 ! 1500 would have to be almost too much for me, unless I was going to part it for another truck, or build a mud beater .

So, to get it to your place, 3000 ? 1500 to haul it how far ? Just trying to get an idea , thinking thats a bunch of cash just to get started, but I remember back to when I was more optimistic , energetic, and had more disposable cash !

To get the one that I was looking at to my house? Maybe $2-300? Its about 5 miles away. I was talking one that was in a different state

steelandcanvas

To get the one that I was looking at to my house? Maybe $2-300? Its about 5 miles away. I was talking one that was in a different state
How about investing in a local runner with no brake problems, therefore no transportation costs? A little rattle can paint job on one I have in mind, and you'll be doing parades! If you follow the leads I've given you, we could talk on the phone.

Vanniek71

How about investing in a local runner with no brake problems, therefore no transportation costs? A little rattle can paint job on one I have in mind, and you'll be doing parades! If you follow the leads I've given you, we could talk on the phone.
Heh I'm much more in to it than a simple rattle can paint job.....I'll give you a call, although I may need to save up some more dough before I am able to get a "Better Shape" deuce.

I do think you all are right for the record though, I just was thinking in my head that if I can get the "junker" for $1500 I would have enough to spend to get it going. But it makes more sense to start out at a better base, and then use that extra money to resto and add fun options.

Keith_J

Master cylinders hardly ever go bad on storage with DOT5. It is wheel cylinders and that means a boat load of hard work. You have to pay to play and the bill here is sore muscles, dirty hands and about 20 man-hours of work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks