• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost destroyed my truck..

BlizzardX23

Well...maybe it wasnt that serious..however...Some may have read...after I spent the day at the local 4x4 park, on the drive home, the truck started making this HORRIBLE grinding sound...as if something was about to blow up in the transmission...It started out subtle in 5th gear on the freeway...but got worse and continued on surface streets in all the other gears...and intermittently

Anyways, my buddy (who is a big rig mechanic..or simply a Diesel Mechanic) came over...so I took him for a ride...as I pulled out of the driveway, and backed up to make a 3 point turn...there was a loud bang/pop and the truck jumped...everything looked fine though, so we took it on a road test...the grinding noise did not come back...when I get home, my other buddy was there waiting on us and said "hey, are your wheels supposed to be that close?" I said "yea..about a 1 1/2 to 2 inches between the tandems..." I jumped out and looked...well...here you go guys!

Wheels are tooooo close!!!

Correct

Broken

Rear axle is rotated forward now

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OUCH
It is easier veiwing pictures when you download to the site here , plus they will always be availible here if your photo bucket goes down .

BlizzardX23

Yup, wheelin will do that to those ends. Glad you didn't tear a brake line off.

I did not know that...I've seen these trucks do so much, and I've done a lot to mine...but never seemed to be an issue...but hey, now I know! And thankfully no one got hurt

As for the brake line..thank you for reminding me...it looks as if the disconnected trailing arm has somehow rubbed through a good portion of my brake line. I will need to repair that before I take this thing back on the street! I will provide pics of that 2moro!

Does anyone have any ideas as to the grinding noise?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct
What is correct in that picture??:?

You better check the condition of all other dogbone bushings as well..... best before the rear-rear axle decides to break loose and leaves you with no brakes!

G.

K10A

For the grinding it is probably all the mud packed in your drum brakes that will wear them out quickly. Or its something else.

Clay James

My buddy's deuce did that. He just popped it back on and continues to drive it. He doesn't take the best care of his truck though.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will take a good day to clean that stuff out of there and re-service it, much less do the repairs. All the important stuff is under neath. Its hard to get the mud out from the frame rails. When left there, it takes a toll on the steel brake lines and even the wiring. Its tough cleaning the brakes. Did you have the plug inserted in the bell housing drain? Mud in the clutch housing? There should be a captive plug, right next to the drain hole. A half inch square drive does the trick. Lots of Folks say they clean and service things, but mostly it doesn't happen.

BlizzardX23

Thanks everyone for your opinions and ideas. Yes, we did a once-around before we left because I actually got stuck at one point in the day and had to have to jeeps pull me out hahah...wanted to make sure nothing was broken...which at that point, nothing seemed to be an issue.

I'm going to pull it back onto the street next week and park it there (in front of my house) so that while I'm working on it...it's on level surface...and not facing down hill in my driveway hahah

I will take tons of pics and I guess, we as a team can get this thing operational again! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks