• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost done restoring my 1952 M38A1

Deadguyllc

Due to a very unscrupulous seller, I bought a "cosmetically sound" jeep that needed almost everything replaced on it. even the frame was rusting away, and I had to buy a new one from a scrapyard in California. That said, I'm finally almost done, and will post pics when I can. The frame arrived a few days ago, was particle blasted, epoxy primered and powder coated, and looks amazing. I'm still waiting to get the engine back to swap it in. It was supposedly rebuilt "like new", but threw a bearing or something in the lower block, and had to be pulled.
At this point, almost everything in the M38A1 will be rebuilt or new. Novak rebuilt a T90 and transfercase for me, and installed an overdrive. The steering wheel, arm, and gear box are Midwest Military replacements. New tie rod ends, shocks, leaf springs, pitman arm, horn rod, horn switch, axle bumper stoppers, wheel bearings, kingping bearings, rims, tires, and wheels all courtesy of Kasier-Willies. New gauges and senders courtesy of Midwest Military. In cab heater from Midwest Military, full winter enclosure from Beachwood Canvas, and the 1954 military issue turn signal upgrade I bought, still in the packaging, off ebay. I upgraded the front BO marker lights to amber lenses, put gamma goat lenses on the rear tailights, and changed out the passenger side tailight for a driver's side on. I installed wipers (and am considering changing out the old motores) for the vacuum wipers, and bought a fabricated rearview mirror, and an extra sideview mirror for the passenger side, off D.L. Bensinger. I bought a deep water fording kit from Midwest Military as well, a repro exhaust manifold off ebay, and the engine, should get rebuilt and be back hopefully sometime this month. I might finally have a running vehicle!

lmgoldstein

Hi, new here. I have a question. I have a '52 M38a1 that I am restoring. I want to add in a turn signal SignalStat900 4-wire. I hope somebody can tell me if I am right or not. I would appreciate it. Does the brake switch wire into the flasher then the turn signal or brake to turn signal to flasher out to the lights? On my tail lights the bottom light is for B/O. One bulb will be for driving lights and the other one will be for turn signal/brake lights. Am I correct? If not does somebody have a better wiring schematic? My collection of wiring diagrams is getting to be quite extensive. I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how to. Thanks. -

CharlyArmy

Midwest Military is great to deal with. I've been to their shop a couple of time. Nicest guy you would ever want to do business with. He has one heck of a collection of vehicles, I got the chance to do a up close look of his command car.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks