• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

almost finished working on deuce

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you packed out the sofa. Leave nothing but tire tracks, take nothing but pictures.

I hate to say it, but we as responsible offroaders need to actively pick up other people's trash when we go offroading, in order to put us in a good light, clean up the environment, and ensure that offroading will be in our future. Too many places have been shut down to offroaders already due to the litterbug mentality of many folks....

joey

Hope you packed out the sofa. Leave nothing but tire tracks, take nothing but pictures
No I didnt pack out the sofa. Usualy I haul off outher peoples garbage from places but the dump charges a lot for a sofa and the fire department wont let me burn them so I flattend it for the next guy to haul it off. Illeagle dumps are pretty common around here especially on that road. The county hasn't figured out that lower fees at the dump means less garbage on the road.

joey

Looks good! How did you enjoy driving it in the sand?
It did good in the sand. It really surprised me, it actually did about as good as my old cj-7.
I didnt have to air down the tires at all. Im thinking Ill take it out to the sand dunes next and see how it does. Normley stupid tourists try to run me over when I ride my motorcycle at that beach. For some reason no one tried to run into me this time :)

chevycrew

On thing I do when out off-roading. If I dont have the time, space, or money to properly dispose of large litter. IE burnt cars, rolls of carpet, etc, the heavy stuff you cant load. I will chain on to it and tow it to the edge of the highway. It takes a very short time here in Idaho for the highway cleanup to dispose of it.

DanMartin

Great to see you got it running Joey!

This summer I'll be down there at the dunes for sure...we'll need to get together for a beer or three.

Did you use that third member to repair the axle? Did that work out OK?

pa.rich

No offense, but I am glad you dont live near me. I hate litter and slobs who leave garbage on an otherwise pretty countryside.For your own good, watch out for the nails and bolts that could end your fun ! Duuuhhhhhh!!!!!! :evil: aua And just to be clear, this comment is to Chevycrew.

joey

On thing I do when out off-roading. If I dont have the time, space, or money to properly dispose of large litter. IE burnt cars, rolls of carpet, etc, the heavy stuff you cant load. I will chain on to it and tow it to the edge of the highway. It takes a very short time here in Idaho for the highway cleanup to dispose of it.
The couch was on the side of the highway... howerver around here alot of the highways are gravle.
It takes a long time for the highway cleanup to dispose of it and when they do somone dumps there again the next day or so. There are just too many illeagle dumps. You wont see any of it if your a tourist but if your a drunken redneck like me who prefears the old highways and less travled roads youll run into it now and then and to tell the truth I dont really care if somone dumps a couch or a car in that spot, its always been a dump and it always will, Besides the cars are fun to shoot at :)

Attachments

joey

did you paint it or is that how it came

if you did paint it what color/brand

truck looks great!!!
For the most part it came that way I went over the black with just flat black spray paint but I got to much overspray so I decided to paint the green to cover it up. I tried all kinds of spray paint till I found a perfect match for the green. Im still trying to find the right shade of brown. I forgit the shade of green it was but there are only two shades for that type of paint. I only painted the door and the bed of the truck the rest of the truck is orignle paint The color is almost a perfect match as you can tell from the pics. Hope that helps but I dont think you wanted spray paint did ya! haha

Attachments

joey

Great to see you got it running Joey!

This summer I'll be down there at the dunes for sure...we'll need to get together for a beer or three.

Did you use that third member to repair the axle? Did that work out OK?
When ever your down give me a call if im not out to sea Ill take a day off or so and we can have a few beers
I did use the differential I got from you It leaked all over after I installed it so I ended up replaceing seals and bearings and now its leak free

DanMartin

Ugh...sorry to hear it was a sour diff. :( Oh well...I guess that's the chance you take with pulled parts.

I probably won't be down there until May at the earliest...then through September for a few weeks at a time. I'll probably be staying at horsfall at least once, so it's a quick trip into town (normally I go to Winchester Bay though).

I'll be sure to set something up beforehand...you'll have plenty of notice.

chevycrew

Re: RE: almost finished working on deuce

This was not meant to say I haul it from home and dump it on the side of the highway. I haul tons of trash from public areas every year to properly dispose of it.

I help move some of the larger items off of public land to an area accessible by the cleanup crews. (These items I move are usually gone within the week by prison workers)

I am also a member of an Off-Road club that cleans a stretch of highway twice yearly. Along with other areas we use, that get annual cleanups.

pa.rich said:
No offense, but I am glad you dont live near me. I hate litter and slobs who leave garbage on an otherwise pretty countryside.For your own good, watch out for the nails and bolts that could end your fun ! Duuuhhhhhh!!!!!! :evil: aua And just to be clear, this comment is to Chevycrew.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: almost finished working on deuce

Was there no risk of getting stuck in the sand on the beach? I have avoided the tempation to take the deuce to padre island because if it ever got stuck, there would not be any way to recover it. (6000 LB shelter in the bed makes me nervous about sticking it).

joey

Was there no risk of getting stuck in the sand on the beach? I have avoided the tempation to take the deuce to padre island because if it ever got stuck, there would not be any way to recover it. (6000 LB shelter in the bed makes me nervous about sticking it).
I also was very nervous about takeing it out there knowing that if i did get stuck no one could get me out. I have however seen a convoy from the N.G. out on the beach before, and there used to be a guy that would give sand dune tours with his deuce with a wooden bed on back.
All my tires had full air pressure in them and it boged down once breifley. The sand was pretty hard but even still I stayed in the soft stuff away from the water just incase.
as I said before it surprised me and actually did better on the beach then my old cj-7 did but I imagine the deuce would probabley suck out in the sand dunes.

I will be takeing mine out in the sand dunes after I fix the oil leak. I dont know how well it would do with a lot of weight in back but even with all the extra weight if you have a winch a lot of times you can burry your spare tire in the sand and winch off that.

I will however post pics of me being stuck out in the sand dunes as soon as I go out there!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks