• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Almost time for the recovery!!

texas30cal

I've been absent for a very long time, just wayyyy too much going on with life. I went last weekend and checked out 2 trucks, one is a non runner so will haul it, the other checks out except that below about 1500 rpm it surges and sometimes falls too far then dies. Above 1500 or so it runs great, it appears to have received a new engine 5-6 years ago before the current owner purchased. I drove it quite a bit, what fun!!!! I was worried about the brakes but they work great. We are going to drain old fuel and change filters before recovery, any ideas about the surging/not idling? Does it sound like something that could leave me needing a tow?f

dmetalmiki

That's is exactly what my deuce used to do. And changing all the filters and cleaning the intank fuel pump strainer cured the problem.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My stalling at low RPM at letoff of the pedal in my HMMWV was due to dirty injection pump from long sitting and low running time. Cleaning filters and running fuel treatment has completely cured it.

Sounds like you just need to drive her good and hard with your choice of treatment in the fuel tank. Just don't ask which one is best, or we'll never get to bed...

Bulldogger

texas30cal

Well I went back today, I got the winch controls freed up and checked for function, all is well except that apparently the shear pin is sheared. The owner says he used it some time ago and it pulled but the pin has to be sheared off and the shaft spun bc there is a pin hole in both sides of the yoke that is as deep as the yoke is thick. I checked the lights, they all work except the front running lights ( the front turn signals work) so they will do to drive it home. I cleaned the fuel screens in the tank, changed the filter that's below the alternator and bled, it idles better for longer periods now (up to a couple of minutes) but I ran out of daylight to change the other two, also replaced the fuel line from the first fuel filter to the other side of the truck it appears that a fork lift was used to raise the front of the truck and they picked it up smashing the copper line flat.

TsgtB

I dont think there are running lights in front... only turn signals with or without headlights.

Also, if the winch pin is not there, mine would spin on the yoke, even with the winch parked (off).
it's not a lubed place, so it's metal on metal, could cause damage if driven with shaft free spinning,
so I suggest putting a bolt or even a wooden dowel would stop the parasitic spin force or whatever it's called.
Just to get it home.

texas30cal

I'm guessing it's galled already bc the current owner said the truck pulled a stump out like it is, prob is that I need it to winch the other truck onto the trailer. I ordered a few odds and ends and some shear pins, I'll just have to take punches and drills with me. How do you go about lining the holes back up?

Last edited:

TsgtB

To line my shaft up with the yoke, I put a little screw driver in the yoke hole and spin the shaft (by hand) until I feel the hole on the shaft, then see if there is a sheared off piece that needs to be pushed out..

texas30cal

Ya it's not slipping on the shaft at all, will take 2 big pipe wrenches with me, I left it saturated in penetrating oil. I'm hoping there's enough winch input shaft exposed to get the pipe wrench on so I can get it to line up. If I don't get a pin in it we will get the other truck halfway on the trailer about the time it lets go and starts spinning ������

texas30cal

Went on recovery Saturday, got the dead truck loaded with a snatch block and the winch truck no problem. Checked out a few things on the winch truck and made the 100 mile drive without incident!

texas30cal

Lots to do under there that's for sure, checked all fluids before we left, no axle seals or brakes leaking, and axle boots are good. Still need to grease it, and parking brake shoes are worn out, how difficult is it to reline them with the linings from Eriks?

Eliteweapons

I am going to pull my parking brake apart in a week or so. Mine doesn't hold well either and the lining is shot. I found a local shop that will replace the media for me. Check with semi service centers in your area to see if they know who does that in your area. As important as that is I am not going to experiment trying to rivet it. Its a pain in the butt for me to even reach the parking brake assembly so not sure how much difficulty it will be to remove and replace them. Also there is a specific setup in the TM for the parking brake too so check that as well.

texas30cal

Ok I'll check it out, does anyone know of a source for the parking brake cable? It's free but the long threaded end under the truck is EXTREMELY rusty, it's actually flaking off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks