• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aloha from a newby

Dmoneygage

Hello all,
I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dennis. I live on Maui island. I just recently (last couple months) became interested in the M1078’s that have been selling rather low out here in Hawaii. After lurking on this site, perusing valuable research information I decided to pull the trigger and landed myself this gem. Super low miles, factory a/c, clean clean clean (from the pictures at least). I still gotta pay and fill out the EUC form which apparently takes weeks to verify. When I’m cleared for pickup I’ll need to fly over to Oahu from Maui to “get it started” and get it on the boat and have it shipped over.

I’d like to be as prepared as possible for the trip to pick it up. What is my best, least expensive batteries option? I’ll need to bring tools on the plane. Battery changing tools, jumper cables, multimeter. Could someone lead me to some links on troubleshooting a no start situation? Auction said would not start but the pictures of the dash show oil pressure, tank pressures volts etc. I hope for the best but want to be prepared for the worst. I’ll be on a different island without a car possibly.

Any help with a tools checklist?
How to troubleshoot a no start situation?
What relays are involved?
Should I try to bring a starter solenoid?
How to jump the solenoid?

I am still trying to navigate the search feature here on the site and will do my best to answer all my questions. Any help is sincerely appreciated.

ps I daily drive a 1971 Pinzgauer 710m

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you stole that thing. I see no red flags in the pictures except for the door butcheries. Those delineators say your truck only recently came to your islands. Any two car batteries will get it started, IF it starts. Good luck. Haha and no it doesn’t have “factory A/C”!!!

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wish I could help, So many things that could be wrong. For starters mine had all the fluids drained and all the plugs were missing. So before I even thought of batteries I had to source all the different plugs and put about 30-40 gallons of different fluids back in it, like coolant, engine oil, transmission and transfer case, fuel, front and rear diff oil, and front hub oil.
My best recommendation is plan load it on a trailer until you get it somewhere close to all you tools.

Dmoneygage

Well you stole that thing. I see no red flags in the pictures except for the door butcheries. Those delineators say your truck only recently came to your islands. Any two car batteries will get it started, IF it starts. Good luck. Haha and no it doesn’t have “factory A/C”!!!
Damn I thought that air box looked like ac?? Thank you for clarifying. What do I know. 🤔Thanks for the advice. 2 batteries, good. I’ll look into the fire truck trimark door handles 030-875 and hopefully the cut out will hide the dents.

Dmoneygage

Wish I could help, So many things that could be wrong. For starters mine had all the fluids drained and all the plugs were missing. So before I even thought of batteries I had to source all the different plugs and put about 30-40 gallons of different fluids back in it, like coolant, engine oil, transmission and transfer case, fuel, front and rear diff oil, and front hub oil.
My best recommendation is plan load it on a trailer until you get it somewhere close to all you tools.
I’ll source wrecker just in case.
Sorry yours was not more turnkey. At least you know you have clean fluids.

Dmoneygage

So the delineators are not a stock item on the islands? Are they only used in certain areas? When were they started being used? None of the other local trucks had those coMe to think of it.
I also have not seen that type of tailgate either. It seems like it is hinged lower than the bed height which seems a convenient step up to the high bed. Less time in the salt air is a plus.

fasttruck

Don't make a move without the pubs: operators' manual, organizational maintenance manual, lubrication order. These may be available on this site or on ebay or at swap meets. The organizational maintenance manual will describe various trouble shooting techniques. If you can find someone with military experience in maintaining these trucks see if you can bring him along. Lubricate everything. Hopefully the GP notice gave some hint to the completeness and operational status of the truck. GP sold some today (April 22) that were describe as "nonoperational" for north of $8000.00

Dmoneygage

This picture looks like the rear brakes are “caged”?
Am I correct?
Why would brakes get caged?
Don't make a move without the pubs: operators' manual, organizational maintenance manual, lubrication order. These may be available on this site or on ebay or at swap meets. The organizational maintenance manual will describe various trouble shooting techniques. If you can find someone with military experience in maintaining these trucks see if you can bring him along. Lubricate everything. Hopefully the GP notice gave some hint to the completeness and operational status of the truck. GP sold some today (April 22) that were describe as "nonoperational" for north of $8000.00

I read through this.

Lots of good info for the user but not the mechanic. Says refer to Unit Maintenance if the user gets to technical point of troubleshooting. I bought the truck today. I got weeks to prepare for the pickup. I will look thru all the TM info on this site and elsewhere beforehand. A military mechanic on island will be worth his weight in gold for sure. Lube everything👍

Attachments

Dmoneygage

Looks like most of the drain plugs are intact. The auction site typically says “all fluids drained”. I have had great experiences with some items on GP and I have been straight burned on others. It’s always a cheap shoot especially site unseen.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the delineators are not a stock item on the islands? Are they only used in certain areas? When were they started being used? None of the other local trucks had those coMe to think of it.
I also have not seen that type of tailgate either. It seems like it is hinged lower than the bed height which seems a convenient step up to the high bed. Less time in the salt air is a plus.
The delineators are a Europe and I think Korea thing. They have been used there since the 70’s. That tailgate is used as a back porch when the truck carries a S280 shelter.

Dmoneygage

The delineators are a Europe and I think Korea thing. They have been used there since the 70’s. That tailgate is used as a back porch when the truck carries a S280 shelter.
I’d love to find an S280 shelter but that is light years away. Thanks for the info.

Third From Texas

Echoing the two batteries to get you going. I've run only dual bats in both my trucks with no issue (other than a thicker wallet). I wouldn't recommend it for sub-zero weather, so watch your thermometer on Maui. ;)

Battery layout credit from someone else here (sorry, I don't recall).

20190724_141553.jpg

Dmoneygage

Echoing the two batteries to get you going. I've run only dual bats in both my trucks with no issue (other than a thicker wallet). I wouldn't recommend it for sub-zero weather, so watch your thermometer on Maui. ;)

Battery layout credit from someone else here (sorry, I don't recall).

View attachment 797345
Thank you for providing the sketch and your experience with just 2 batteries instead of 4. Believe it or not we get winter weather up at the top of Haleakala but it’s a 37 mile steep curvy curvy ride from sea level to 10023 feet that takes minimum 2 hours. Other than that it’s always between 65 and 87 degrees. Two bats should do just fine.

Attachments

Third From Texas

Thank you for providing the sketch and your experience with just 2 batteries instead of 4. Believe it or not we get winter weather up at the top of Haleakala but it’s a 37 mile steep curvy curvy ride from sea level to 10023 feet that takes minimum 2 hours. Other than that it’s always between 65 and 87 degrees. Two bats should do just fine.
Yeah, a lot of my buds moved there in the 80's to windsurf. Some are still out that way kiting.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the 90s, the Wife and I liked to hang out at Moose McGillycuddy's in Lahaina. I hear it's closed now. :cry: Also welcome aboard from Nevada, and Good Luck with your new truck.

Dmoneygage

Caged brakes allows to roll the vehicle without an air supply to the brakes.
Seems like they would be caged for towing or maybe air leak in brake system. The auction ad says they could not start the truck but the dash pictures show the oil pressure gauge at 40psi and both front/rear break pressures up at 120 or so(obviously running) Hoping I can pull the cage pin and they will work.
How sketchy/unsafe is it to drive with caged rear breaks, granted it would be empty and I would drive slow and leave an increased following distance etc. ? Just to get home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks