• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Al's liner came out good...

ajsmith184

I decided to spray my m1009 with tan Als Liner..Friend had done it before, he already had the gun (which he pointed out you can get for $35 at HF rather than $60 from Als liner, its different than a normal spray gun)...I think it came out good....Definitely need to buy two gallons ($99 each delivered).. Mix it up half a gallon at a time because it starts hardening quick...Like 15 minutes quick..I used all of one gallon and half of the other...

I think the tan will be a lot easier to keep looking clean compared to the usual black....Not everyones cup of tea, but Im happy.

Attachments

stationjj

Nice!

I did the same on my M1009, but I used Tan Durabak. Did the Als Liner come with rubber granulates?
I got durabak with rubber granulates. Yes, a rough surface, but I don't mind.

John

ajsmith184

Yeah I was thinking about the durabak...Reason I went with Als was because my friend had used it, and it looked good..They have had good luck, his dad owns a construction company with 50+ trucks and they use it exclusively....No rubber pieces to add...Basically comes with 3 containners, mix them as indicated, stir...and be ready to start spraying...Even now its still kinda rubbery feeling...The box says 8 hours to cure..He said theres usually takes almost a week before its fully hard....It was ok to drive home after 2 hours.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks nice and clean. Don't know about the "tan" though. Different strokes for different folks. It might grow on ya though. Good job!
God bless,
Tony

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More info on which type of spray gun you got at HF and where to get Als liner please.

Looks good. I would like to put liner on at least one o my M101A2s to see what it would look like.

twlinks

I think the tan looks good. Kinda pricey material though it seems. I used Rustoleum (about $50 gallon) bed liner, rolled on, then sprayed it OD green. I haven't given it hard use yet, but it seems to be holding up very well.

ajsmith184

Here is the spray gun from HF...

http://www.harborfreight.com/texture-paint-spray-gun-66103.html

I got the Als liner here..

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/-p-48514.html?gclid=CMPHi57I-bQCFck7MgodjkIApw

I was on the fence about spending more as well..I was going to do the roll on..Seeing this compared to roll on, I am glad I went this way..Its thicker, seems stronger, and has a better texture...In addition to the color I wanted....I guess the best way to explain it is it's kind of in the middle between a roll on and a line x....for $200, Im happy :)

Scarecrow1

I like the color and like you said it WILL stay cleaner. Have a standard 383 color on a 923A1 and plan on keeping it that way on the outside but was entertaining the Idea of lighting up the inside with a lighter color like yours. We all know how dirt is like a magnet to dark colors which is why it is so easy to hide with a good coat of dirt to have instant camo . Have you heard of anyone using that product on the cab floor under the mat? I know some use other products but I am concerned about voc's in the cab . Again a very nice job .......

ajsmith184

Mine is a M1009 and I used it in the interior..It does smell bad for a day or two..I sprayed it saturday, and by last night (sunday evening) you couldnt smell it anymore...Shouldnt be a problem.

Croatan_Kid

Nice!

I rolled Herculine in the cab of my M1008 a few weeks back. Still has some smell, but the windows have been rolled up all the time. Come summer and once I drive it some more and have stuff in and out of the cab, I'm sure it'll go away. It cuts down on some noise too, which is good for me with the Cummins and big tires :D I did the bottom of the doors, below the panels, under the kick panels, and about a 1/2" inch below the rocker on the outside. Barely visable outside the truck, but gives some traction for hopping up in the truck. I wish I had done it years ago! Easy to put in and cheap too. They say you can spray Herculiner, but I wanted the rough finish under my feet so it wouldn't wear out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks