• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Altenator conversion

farmboy11

Can anyone tell me what all is involved in converting my deuce over from a generator to an alternator, such as what all has to be changed, what about the voltage regulator, what to watch out for, tips, etc? I haven't been able to find much on the subject. I have the conversion kit but no words on how to do it. Is there a TM on it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it is just the alternator, battery cables and a harness section. Can you post a pic of the stuff you have?

tm america

i'm working on making some brackets to do the same thing right now..i got the pattern done to add a 12 volt alt now i'm doing the one to replace the 24 volt gen with a 24 volt alt.These brackets are a dirrect bolt on and require no mod to off the shelf alts.i'm gonna be getting 100 of each cut on the plamsa table this week .....price will be around 75 ..but need to check to see how much its gonna cost me to get them cut out.....other than the bracket if you run one wire alts there is no mods to the truck wiring

appalacious

Is the voltage regulator separate from the generator? Usually its integrated into the alternator. If its separate in the generator, is it also mechanical?

If so, that might make the deuce "EMP-proof" (something i doubt very seriously hasn't been discussed before). So you might want to keep the old setup handy.

Last edited:

farmboy11

I bought the packaged NOS conversion kit off ebay. Several people sell the same one. Haven't received it yet but trying to get ducks in a row. Is it really just remove the gen and bolt in the alt? It's got to be more than that otherwise they wouldn't have a conv. parts kit. I just don't want to start tearing my truck apart only to find I am unprepared and now have to wait till next week for more parts to show before I can fix it.

farmboy11

Gen to Alt

So has anybody done this in recent history? I really am looking for the voice of experience. I spent hours looking thru ref doc's (about 1/3 of those listed on this site) and have gone near blind but have found nothing. :cookoo:

JasonS

I did this to my gas M35 several years ago. You remove your generator and regulator. Bolt the alternator to the generator's mounts. Screw the adapter cable where the old regulator was. Run the adapter cable to the alternator. Connect the alternator energize lead to switched power. It will be obvious once you open the kit.

jatonka

I have the kits, all you need is a 60 amp alternator to put in place of the 25 amp generator. The harness kit comes with EVERYTHING else. JT PM me

Barrman

I also did it on my M35 Gasser. Very easy plug and play kit. You might have to swap the pulleys around depending on where your alternator came from. Same shaft size between the generator and alternator though, so 5 seconds with an impact gun to get the nut loose and maybe a puller to get the pulley off. Super easy kit. Or, I guess I should write it is a very well designed and thought out modification the military did by the thousands.

Barrman

The 25 amp generator had a huge 4 pin plug that went to the firewall mounted regulator. The "kit" we are talking about plugs into that connector and then attaches to the 60 amp alternator. That is all there is to the "kit".

Here is the "kit" wrapped around the steering column on my Gasser. It just connects the plug under the steering column to the alternator. Super easy to do and it works.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What impact would changing the generator to an alternator have during offroading, specifically if the deuce goes in the drink up to the alternator. The stock generator and regulator is sealed, so as long as the engine has air coming in and exhaust going out, no problems. Just worried a dip in the mud pit would screw things up royally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks