• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Altenator question

Sp0okfish

My passenger side altenator is producing 30 volts, so i purchased the rebuild kit from cucv electric. I just purchased the truck and the altenator looks brand new. I know its supposed to be an isolated ground altenator i was wandering how to tell if it is an isolated ground altenator. I dont wont to rebuild it, then in a week it screws up again.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator really isn't producing 30volts.

Each alternator produces around 14.7v in an ideal situation. The 14.7v (or less) fron the driverside alternator is fed to the ground terminal of the passenger alternator. The voltages combine to produce ~29.4v total.

You can tell if the alternator is an isolated ground by the fact that you don't see any fireworks...:wink:

Actually, look at the terminals on the back of the unit. You will see the two lugs on the back.

Start your truck and check the voltage of each battery. Then report back your findings. You should see around 14.5v on each one.

Oh and welcome to the site.

Attachments

Sp0okfish

The front battery is 14.56, and the back battery is 11.16. When I bought the truck it started fine now it drags when its starts. There also is a problem with the glow plug system. It works fine in the morning when you first start it but once it is warmed up the "wait" light would some times come on and stay on for the cycle or it wont come on at all and the water in fuel light should come on for like a second but it sometimes doesnt come on at all either. And the truck would crank but not start. I just took the wire off the top of the temperature sensor and the glow plugs come on all the time now and the truck starts fine. I ordered a new temperautre sensor as well.

cpf240

You may have a bad battery. I'd suggest giving them a full charge, and then having them load tested at your local auto parts house. Unless you have your own load tester, that is! :grin:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the fusible link between the GEN2 positive terminal and the 24v Positive Terminal Block.

Have you downloaded the Tech Manuals and looked at the wiring diagrams in the appendix?

Just checking... Where did you get the 30v reading? From the back of the Gen2?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your starter is draging because the rear battery isn't charging and the voltage has dropped. There isn't enough juice for the 24v starter.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm watching OKC in their first NBA final so I can't get the diagrams out.

I can help you with the wiring in the morning.

You will need the diagram E-9 from the TM 9-2320-289-34 tech manual.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the factory, each of the alternators are the same. GM 1105500

Both have the tack post. Just the drivers side uses it for the STE/ICE diagnostic connection.

Part numbers are listed in the Parts Tech Manuals

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spook,

disconnect both batteries and then check the wire from the GEN2 positive terminal back to the 24v 24v buss.

You are looking for the big blue fusible link. You should go ahead and remove all the wires and clean all the terminals.

I have to ask what your mechanical/electrical skills are. Just helps us to know how to procede.

Attachments

Sp0okfish

I know a little bit as long as its fairly straight toward. My buddy is real good but he's gone this week. So ill do as much as I can till he gets back.

Sp0okfish

Good news I went and checked all the connections and the blue fuseable link was loose and the wires above the gp solenoid. I cleaned all terminals on buss board. Now starts up like normal front battery has 14.7v and back has 13.7. I put the conector back on the temperaure sensor, and when i first started the truck it came on for the cycle and the water in fuel came on like usual for a second. After the truck is warmed up though neither lights come on not even for a second, is that usual not sure but i think they should still come on for at least a second or so.
Thanks for all the help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks