• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternate fuel, Used oil

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As some of you may know i have been cutting diesel with used motor oil to cut down on fuel costs. Desert Rat and i won a couple of centrafuges on a auction. Today they arrived and i put them to work even before i unloaded them from my truck. These gems are also refegerated, down to -20deg c!!!! The first batch i tried was used castrol 20w-50. I had already strained the oil through coffie filters 3 times. After running about 1 gallon at 2500 rpm's for 5 minutes some small bits of carbon settled to the bottom of the jars. So i tried running it again for 10 minutes with the fridge switch on. When i opened the lid i found small ice crystals in the bottom of the jar. Talk about water seperation!!!! So my next batch was 90w gear oil. (thanks D RAT T-case) After 10 minutes the oil seperated metals, some trash and i noticed the oil on top was thinner. As i moved the jar the oil reblended. The gear oil also became lighter in color. Although the motor oil did not. I have almost 5 gallons done. I'm going to try higher than 20% oil in the fuel in small incerments. Next step Duece fuel tank.

Desert Rat

Now we need to expand the operation to get more of the thinner oil! I can't wait to see the results in Little Rock!!!!!!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think that the pollution factor may come into the picture when burning oil with diesel.

Perhaps by mixing motor oil/hydraulic oil with biodiesel/cooking oil, the pollution can be reduced to acceptable levels.

I still have hydraulic oil with water in it from my little fording experiment last September. The water seems to be in "suspension" and doesn't settle out. I reused some 15 gallons by boiling the water out of it.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
The theory is spin fast enough long enough and compare the viscosity to that of diesel as well as the clarity of the oil (since we all know diesel is technically an oil) and you have a useable fuel very similar to diesel for the truck. I also have another project in the creation stage to use the leftover "sludge" as a fuel for an off-the-grid A/C unit. More on that at a later time. We are not wasting a single drop of this stuff. Right now we're in the experimental stages of working on the spin/mix/burn process. Our goal is by the time we refine our process (I just LOVE that pun!) we will use a 50 to 60% oil to diesel mix and cut waaaaayyyy back our fuel costs. Plus as far as pollution is concerned these trucks are federally exemted anyway. The DOT and EPA list them as "black" trucks.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can run about a gallon every 5min. If the oil is really dirty a little longer. 10 min max. As far as the pollution goes, It's not a factor to me. the chemical plants in the area do more in one hour than i could do in a lifetime. After running the oil it appears most if not all impurities are slung to the bottom if the jar. I'm plannig to cut the oil with gasoline, for two reasons. It's thinner than diesel so i can blend it close to diesel's viscosity. And the high detergants to help keep injector nozzles clean.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out that most used oil that is so called recycled, Isn't. It's burned is ships or power plants. (heavy fuel oil it's called) Most places have to pay to get rid of it, then shipping companies buy it for fuel. Man i'm in the wrong business. Having someone pay you to take something AND having someone else pay you to get it!! Only in the USA!!!! I can burn it just as well as they can.