• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternate Use of the Multi-Fuel Engine????

SoundGuy

For the generator idea. I love it. Just to note, it takes about 2 hp to make 1kw of electricity. So a 134 engine would not be able to produce a 100kw of power. Although it will turn a 100kw genset as long as the load didn't surpass what the engine could turn. I wouldn't recommend much more than 50kw so you could have a little surge room. That is still on beast of a generator.

plym49

I have a WWII-era PE-95 genset in my house. It is a Willys 4 banger flathead. Probably 40 HP on a good day. The PE-95 is approximately a 10 KW unit although it has some overload capacity. It runs everything I need to run in my house with enough to spare to run an extension cord for a neighbor. I have it in a soundproof block room under my deck. The heat from the radiator and exhaust is captured during the cool season. I use it for when the power is out which is often enough as I am on a single-feed distribution circuit. It is thirsty with the gasoline, though, since it is a low-compression gas motor. Other than that it is fine.

That multifuel genset setup pictured is very nice. Even if that is a 100KW generator (looks a little small to be rated that high, but I might be mistaken) a Deuce motor is not going to be able to power it at that level. 50 KW is more like it - still PLENTY.

BTW one horsepower equals 746 watts. Don't forget that no machine is 100% efficient. So that 2 hp per 1 KW guideline is reasonable.

JasonS

An engine which has 134 horsepower produces a hair shy of 100kW of output at the crankshaft (134 * 746). Assuming 80% conversion efficiency (probably a few points low) in the generator head, this would result in an 80kW output. While it won't produce full 100kW output, it was just a good way to repurpose an engine without a load and a head without an engine.

jj

I use to use a Schramm air compressor that had an iron cylinder block and head with six holes. Three had spark plugs and MADE power. Three holes had poppet type check valves and compressed air. Designed like that. Made enough air for a backhoe mounted pnuematic hammer.The balance issues could be worked out, but it does seem to be the long way around the barn.

Keith_J

An engine which has 134 horsepower produces a hair shy of 100kW of output at the crankshaft (134 * 746). Assuming 80% conversion efficiency (probably a few points low) in the generator head, this would result in an 80kW output. While it won't produce full 100kW output, it was just a good way to repurpose an engine without a load and a head without an engine.
But for 60 Hz, it must run at 1800 RPM with a 4-pole field. Not going to do 3600 RPM for a 2-pole.

At that RPM, you are probably looking at 110 Hp output for about 80 kW. Conversion efficiency is in the 90% range or better.

The multifuel is far from efficient as a diesel being in the high 0.40s in brake specific fuel consumption (pounds of fuel per horsepower hour). High compression and the spherical combustion bowl in the piston are the killers.

JasonS

But for 60 Hz, it must run at 1800 RPM with a 4-pole field. Not going to do 3600 RPM for a 2-pole.

At that RPM, you are probably looking at 110 Hp output for about 80 kW. Conversion efficiency is in the 90% range or better.

The multifuel is far from efficient as a diesel being in the high 0.40s in brake specific fuel consumption (pounds of fuel per horsepower hour). High compression and the spherical combustion bowl in the piston are the killers.
You are right, my oversight on the speed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks