• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternater to reverse light

WeldSpatter

I’m running my own electrical and I have an idea to pull some power off my battery’s for lights and radio etc, I don’t know what the rating is on the stock alternators if one of y’all know the output of each of them or have suggestions on what size I should run id really appreciate it. I’d be running headache rack mounted lights , radio, speakers, and a few other odds and ends.

Second i have no idea how to wire up reverse lights my colum is dead and I’ve ran all new toggle switches biut the lights have to turn on when the trans goes into reverse. any help is appreciated

Third, I’ve been reading that the windshield wipers pump and motor is ran off of multiple grounds. As I said the column and switch are dead but the unit itself has power I’d be putting in an auxdial switch with a button for the pump and a turn for the speed setting.

thank you

WeldSpatter

I found a aux sw on the painless performance website and id like to get an opinion.
link to the part below

WeldSpatter

I wasn’t gonna use it for back up lamps, but my motor and pump is getting power, I believe that my steering column and all the controls are dead id just be runnin the controls to this switch instead of the switch on the column. As for reverse lights I still am in the dark on how to wire them up. Thanks

WeldSpatter

Why hack it up? Why not fix it correctly?
With all due respect this is my first truck, a squarebody Chevy is my dream truck, I bought it cheap and I’ve been fixing it all by my damn self. I’m 17 and am a self taught mechanic and I just ran a whole new light system to make this truck road worthy after multiple mechanics wrote it off as a paperweight or a farm vehicle that won’t never be on the road again. I’ve been fixing it all by my self with money from odd jobs while I’m still in high school. I don’t have unlimited money to restore the truck to its original condition. I’m doing this all on my own. I bought the truck and and fixing it with my own money. If it was truly “military grade” id stand up better, but the wiring is so messed up and complicated that when I ran my own system it made more sense. I’m still trying to figure out the reverse lights but I have a switch for wipers that I need to figure out how to wire in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
With all due respect this is my first truck, a squarebody Chevy is my dream truck, I bought it cheap and I’ve been fixing it all by my damn self. I’m 17 and am a self taught mechanic and I just ran a whole new light system to make this truck road worthy after multiple mechanics wrote it off as a paperweight or a farm vehicle that won’t never be on the road again. I’ve been fixing it all by my self with money from odd jobs while I’m still in high school. I don’t have unlimited money to restore the truck to its original condition. I’m doing this all on my own. I bought the truck and and fixing it with my own money. If it was truly “military grade” id stand up better, but the wiring is so messed up and complicated that when I ran my own system it made more sense. I’m still trying to figure out the reverse lights but I have a switch for wipers that I need to figure out how to wire in.
Well, then you could do what I did when I was about your age... Run a switch to the backup lights that you can turn off and on by hand. The police will give you a ticket for a white light on the rear of your vehicle IF YOU ARE on a public street not backing up, so wire in an indicator light. OR don't forget.

Doing what you have done - I think you have learned useful skills . Yeah, a hack job in the wiring harness can cause problems. Seems that you said early in this post that the wiring harness was already hacked up -- so what you have done is fine in my opinion.

Long years ago, I worked for a company that bought Deuces, 5-Tons and M4's. They were used to build steel highlines. That company made sacks of money doing that work. They had a plan. Buy military surplus vehicles, gut the electrical system, replace the 24v alternator or generator and starter, then replace the lights and switches and WIRE IT UP! The wiring harness was hand made from spools of 14 and 10 gauge wire. EASY. So much easier than trying to patch a 30 year old harness. Worked really well.

The folks here would have "stroked out" to see the several hundred trucks in 8 states all hacked up. BUT they cranked and ran day in and day out for 40 years (maybe more).

Keep doing what you are doing WeldSpatter :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks