• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative Fuel and 6.2's

Or maybe it should be 'Altrnative Fuels and Stanadyne Components'

The short story is;
Instead of changing the big filter / waterseparator 3 times in 3 days at 18 to 23 a shot (including a drive to the nearest parts store that actually has them (40 miles from me)

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR if you are going to do any fuel experimenting. Pick up a few (or a few cases) of 3/8 inch inline filters (clear plastic or tin, whatever floats your boat).
As soon as the 'Water in fuel' light comes on, pull over and change that little puppy out.

An electric lift pump is a big help also...

The LONG story involves walking, and nursing the truck along in low-range, first gear, and 2 hrs of jumping batteries on the side of the highway, and stuff like that. So I will spare you the long story at this time,

peace
Dave

dilvoy

That's the side of alternate fuels that is not talked about by the Pie in the Sky people. Someone was trying to talk me into using bio diesel in my Diesel boat. It has a 8V71 Detroit and when I asked about injector and injector pump wear she said no problem. I diden't believe her for even a second.

mangus580

Rule # 1 when using alternative fuels..... Filter the crap out of your fuel first!! Rule # 2, be prepared for the bio-fuel to clean your fuel tank spotless (guess where all the junk goes!)

in fairness, dilvoy, the long story ALSO includes

unfiltered (nearly unfiltered, call it poorly filtered) restaurant oil that i did NOT do enough testing on

it also involves the stanadyne filter setup which is way at the high end of price per HP or price per gallons filtered... (necessarily so for the somewhat fragile stanadyne pumps)
a fuel pro 382 ahead of the stocker would be a very good idea and WAY more economical...

it also comes after a 10K mile history of using clean virgin soybean oil, so i felt kinda invincible...

if i were to use this oil again i would ABSOLUTELY process it into biodiesel and WOULD NOT run it as WVO

peace
Dave

cuc-v

so what i am getting from this thread is that i can run biodiesel in my 6.2 but it will destroy my fuel components...correct?

BKinzey

Bio Diesel will attack some of the gaskets and the fuel lines and cause early failure. You can get replacements though.

Bio Diesel is cleaner and will clean your tank & lines. I think it's reccomended you change your fuel filter at 1,000 miles the first time. As mentioned all that junk goes somewhere.

I'd also think of an aftermarket fuel filter. Something less than 5 microns.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
cuc-v said:
so what i am getting from this thread is that i can run biodiesel in my 6.2 but it will destroy my fuel components...correct?
Nope. From what I understand about making biodiesel if you do it right is is very similar to regular diesel. It would be well filtered, and have little water content. WVO on the other hand is raw veggie cooking oil with all sorts of crap in it and water. It is also acidic. This thread to me just says if you want to run WVO in a CUCV upgrade your filter system, or just replace it with something more modern, cheaper, and more efficient. Oh and carry spare filters so you don't have to end up walking home when they clog.

the point of this thread

the point of this thread is that if you plan on experimenting with alternative fuels on a 6.2

do something about a sacrificial filter ahead of the expensive stanadyne box filter on the firewall. it is cheaper and easier to carry spares as described than to carry 20 dollar spare filters.

peace
Dave

(i have run mine on waste engine oil, SVO and many other non-commercial fuels, with very good results. this time i got stupid and it has been extremely inconvenient and expensive)

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a squeeze primer bulb on mine. I got it from wal-mart for $5. That way i can open the bleeder and squeeze the bulb by hand to pump fuel. It's a lot easier on the starter and batteries.

rdixiemiller

ken said:
I installed a squeeze primer bulb on mine. I got it from wal-mart for $5. That way i can open the bleeder and squeeze the bulb by hand to pump fuel. It's a lot easier on the starter and batteries.
I was going to chime in on that one. We used an outboard motor tank squeeze bulb on an old Case 350 I used to run. It was hard to prime after a filter change. This made it a snap. We left it plumbed into the supply side of the filter housing.
I always used a Johnson bulb, as I had axcess to them.

rizzo

rdixiemiller said:
ken said:
I was going to chime in on that one. We used an outboard motor tank squeeze bulb on an old Case 350 I used to run. It was hard to prime after a filter change. This made it a snap. We left it plumbed into the supply side of the filter housing.
I always used a Johnson bulb, as I had axcess to them.
I used outboard motor tank, bulb and fuel line on a couple of my boggers. for the reasons above. works great!

well, one of the nice things the PO did on this one was switch to the electric lift pump... though he could have done a better job of removing and blocking off the mechanical one...

peace
Dave

dilvoy

I remember reading about a guy that had a diesel boat and was worried about the fuel quality for his upcoming trip to Mexico. Aparantly in some remote places, the fuel is carried to the boat in whatever containers are handy, even in plastic buckets, so he got some sort of fine filter to use as a funnel as the fuel was being put into his tanks. If anyone wants to stockpile veggie oil or make their own bio diesel and is located in the San Francisco Bay area and needs a fuel tank, I have one that I will give them. It is located near Petaluma Ca. and it will fit onto a pickup truck bed. I'd guess it's abut three feet in diameter and about six feet long.

rizzo

maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can explain about washed and unwashed bio-diesel. I think that is the only difference between commercial and homemade.

ida34

I am not an expert but you can wash biodiesel at home. I am pretty sure it involves spraying water at the top of the reactor or holding tank. You then wait until the water settles on the bottom. On its way down it washes the biodiesel. you then just open the valve at the bottom and drain the dirty water out. I checked into making biodiesel a while ago but have not gotten around to doing it yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks