• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative Fuel For M998

WhoMe08721

Hey Guys,

Has any one ran alternative fuel in there HUMVEE. For example WMO. Currently I use a
(Waste Oil Centrifuge) to clean waste oil for my M35A2 and it works out great. I run the truck at mix of (80% Waste Oil to 20% Diesel Fuel) in the summer and have never had any problems for the last 3year. Only thing I do is change the fuel filler twice a year and try run a higher diesel mix in the cold weather so it doesn't jell up in the fuel tank. Cause I don't run a pre heater. But will fuel prices getting so high here in NJ, I was think of running a (50% 50%) mix in my M998 6.5L Non Turbo Diesel.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey Guys,

Has any one ran alternative fuel in there HUMVEE. For example WMO. Currently I use a
(Waste Oil Centrifuge) to clean waste oil for my M35A2 and it works out great. I run the truck at mix of (80% Waste Oil to 20% Diesel Fuel) in the summer and have never had any problems for the last 3year. Only thing I do is change the fuel filler twice a year and try run a higher diesel mix in the cold weather so it doesn't jell up in the fuel tank. Cause I don't run a pre heater. But will fuel prices getting so high here in NJ, I was think of running a (50% 50%) mix in my M998 6.5L Non Turbo Diesel.
My suggestion that is a bad idea.
The Multi-Fuel was built for that, the HMMWV is not.

Maybe somebody else can speak up with a solution, but gumming up the IP and the smaller nozzles in the newer design diesel is going to cost you more than a smaller fuel bill.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are quite a few articles about running the 6.5L on WVO one thing for sure the stock filter setup is no good for WVO. and you should run dual tanks so you can pre heat the engine/WVO before switching
I am sure many will chime in that have never done this to say it is a bad idea which it may be but you would certainly not be the first to run a 6.5L on WVO

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are quite a few articles about running the 6.5L on WVO one thing for sure the stock filter setup is no good for WVO. and you should run dual tanks so you can pre heat the engine/WVO before switching
I am sure many will chime in that have never done this to say it is a bad idea which it may be but you would certainly not be the first to run a 6.5L on WVO
Could be.
I am definitely willing to listen and learn.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is talking waste motor oil , not waste vegtable oil.
On a side note it doesn't matter how well you clean waste motor oil , you won't get the acids and fine metal particles out.
Will a deuce run on it yep, will it shorten the life of the injection pump yep.

WhoMe08721

Tell me more about the centrifuge please.
A bowl centrifuge spins the oil, with particulate settling out against an inside wall of the bowl. A layer of water forms on top of the hard particles, followed by a layer of water/oil emulsion and then a layer of oil that progressively becomes cleaner toward the center of the bowl.
(Basically in simpler terms, you put heated used motor oil in a spinning bowl and all the trash in the oil stays in the bowl and clean oil comes out the over flow)
Also Centrifuge filtering can clean your oil to below .5 micron and dewater your oil.

Barrman

The last time fuel was this expensive this topic was very hot. Multi fuel trucks are fine with it. Mine loves used ATF. However, the DB-2 injection pump is not made for the thicker/more viscosity waste motor oil.

There was a super long and boring report done by the DOD after the Desert Shield/Desert Storm operations about the failure of vehicles in that conflict. It was posted here as a link that I was not able to save. Maybe it will show up again. Anyway, the report boiled down to HMMWV and CUCV engine failures resulting from JP6 being used instead of diesel for extend periods of time and under a full load. The injection pump shafts were shearing off. The jet fuel was just a bit drier and heavier than the diesel if I remember correctly.

Yes, a quart or motor oil, 2 stroke oil or additive to a 28 gallon tank is fine. But a dozen tanks of something not diesel and while driving it with your foot on the floor results in bad things to the IP. Because of that report I have only run diesel in my DB-2 vehicles. You can do as you wish since it is your vehicle. If for instance you have a failing IP, don't travel very far from home and want to save money on fuel until the IP finally dies sometime in the near future. Go for it. I would suggest no more than a 50% waste motor oil to diesel ratio though. 25-30% would probably be about the most it would run correctly with.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m sorry, I should’ve been more specific.

What brand of centrifugal pump do you have and where did you purchase it?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He is talking waste motor oil , not waste vegtable oil.
On a side note it doesn't matter how well you clean waste motor oil , you won't get the acids and fine metal particles out.
Will a deuce run on it yep, will it shorten the life of the injection pump yep.
Sorry miss-read, I was shocked today when the diesel was $.50 a gallon more than Monday, geeze, guess I will be driving with economy in mind instead of speed to Bryan.
I know squat about WMO, used to dump it into my bulk red diesel tank back in the day when I was using tons of fuel and changing oil quite a bit (many years ago that was real popular as there were not many places to dispose of waste oil), still running the same tractors many years later and have not had any issues but we are talking a relatively low ratio...

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Sorry miss-read, I was shocked today when the diesel was $.50 a gallon more than Monday, geeze, guess I will be driving with economy in mind instead of speed to Bryan.
I know squat about WMO, used to dump it into my bulk red diesel tank back in the day when I was using tons of fuel and changing oil quite a bit (many years ago that was real popular as there were not many places to dispose of waste oil), still running the same tractors many years later and have not had any issues but we are talking a relatively low ratio...
DIESEL..... SIX DOLLARS A GALLON in CALIFORNIA.

HumV might be taking a break, CAMO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two dollars a gallon is taxes from Newsom and Pelosi. In NYC the price per gallon is closer to $4 and that is still high.

Let the USA produce more. We have more oil than all the Middle East but Sleepy Joe and word Salad Harris won’t open up the bidding on good oil producing sites.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two dollars a gallon is taxes from Newsom and Pelosi. In NYC the price per gallon is closer to $4 and that is still high.

Let the USA produce more. We have more oil than all the Middle East but Sleepy Joe and word Salad Harris won’t open up the bidding on good oil producing sites.
When was the last time you bought any diesel? it is $4.30 here in Texas, would be surprised it was cheaper in NY.
The station I filled up at yesterday went from 3.80 to 4.30 (rounded up 0.001) today

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about the new bio diesel fuel offered by chevron / 76 etc. ?
Bio diesel is a solvent and unless you have perfectly clean system (IE. new tank ect) it will break all the gunk loose.

Post #8 of this thread has some good info for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks