• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative Fuel Question

Rebelpride

:deadhorse: I have done a search trying to find an answer to my ponderings, but could not find what I was looking for. I have read about people using home heating oil, #4 oil, svo, wvo, wmo, atf, and bio. Right now around where I live diesel is $3.97-4.00/gal, offroad is $3.50, and kerosene is $3.40-3.65. My question is can I fill my tank up on my M1009 with kerosene with out detrimental effects?

Also was trying to get into burning WMO but I got some that had water in it, how do I get the water out: A) Run it thru a water sep. filter, B) Pour some of that water remover additive for fuel tanks, C) Take it to be recycled and start over. :deadhorse:

AJMBLAZER

Check out the alternative fuels forum here on SS. There's a fairly extensive thread on the 6.2L and alternative fuels in there.

AJMBLAZER

That would be the forum to ask though.

Check the technical manuals on the trucks that are on this website. They are all here. If the military says it can be done this would be the place. I don't think it would be a recommended regular practice though.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Compared to diesel prices, kerosene is hardly worth it and it's usually dyed to prevent use in vehicles (non-taxed). I have a source for clear kerosene here and use some mixed with veggie oil, can also be used with diesel to prevent "waxing" in the Winter.

Water in WVO will separate out if you let it sit for a few weeks..it will sink in the veggie oil.

I get my WVO directly from the fryer and have never had a water problem, so I don't have any actual experience here. If the WVO looks bad, I use it for biodiesel, the clear oil on top is filtered and mixed with diesel/kerosene and poured into the tank.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
kerosene is very dry. meaning not much lube in the fuel I would add some lbe to it if i ran alot of it. It's almost the same as #1 diesel. Used up north in the winter. If you have a free or cheep supply run it. There are many opinions on what to use for lube. Everything from 2-stroke oil to tranny fluid.

rottiedog

where are you in NC

I am planning on doing the same and should have my WVO setup running by this weekend. Cooking in a water heater, fitering, mixing with 5% diesel and then into the storage tank. Hope for the best!!

rottiedog

Re: RE: where are you in NC

Rebelpride said:
Rottie, I live near Concord,NC
Damn, too far to just stop by!

As for getting rid of the water, I am going to use two methods. I have a used water heater and am going to heat the oilt for 8 hours. That is supposed to separate the water and oil. Drain the water from the bottom until oil starts coming out, then run the oil through a fuel water serperator and filter that I got fromt northern tool and pump to the storage tank and then into the truck.

pauld

kerosine(heating oil. 23 secs,) is almost identical to jet a1 aviation fuel which the 6.2l engine in the cucv/humvee will run on with no problems. the military now ship only one type of fuel into the front line, FS34 which is the military version of jet a1, as for running your cucv on WVO the only thing youve really got to be very carefull about is the viscosity of whatever is going through the pump, to "thick" and you can shear the drive, just remember the first deisel ran on peanut oil !!!! :D

SmokeyDod

I did not realize that the reg. CUCV 6.2L or 6.5L were of "Multi-Fuel" design. I know the ones for 2-1/2 & 5T were. I knew that to run veggie you needed special strainers, filters heaters etc. How about some input?
thanks Smokey

AJMBLAZER

They are not true multifuel engines. However all diesels are, to some extent, multifuel engines.
Anyone arguing that diesels were originally designed to run on peanut oil must remember that when these engines were designed in the late 70's no one in Detroit was thinking about peanut oil with petroleum diesel being less than a quarter a gallon at the time.

SmokeyDod

Thanks for info. I Have a fair amt of motor oil, hydraulic oil, transmission fluid. U think I could mix a gallon or two per tank and be OK?????

jfmrj

Hey I also have been looking into alt. fuels. I think once i get my starting problem on my blazer fixed. I want to get a kit from www.greasecar.com. I live in Lexington, N.C. not to far away. By the way have you had starting problems with your blazer? If you have and fixed it we definitely have to get together and fix this thing.

Rebelpride

JFMRJ, the only starting problems that I have had is my glow plugs working bass ackwards(coming on for long times when its 60+, but not comming on at all when its cold and I need them).

As an aside I found some cheap non detergent 30W oil at wal-mart for $1.88/qt and have been putting a bottle in every fill up. Yesterday I refueled(wheres the lube)$80, but I figured up my mileage and I got 20mpg(and I rechecked my figures 3 times to make sure I hadn't screwed up) so I was happy.

saddamsnightmare

April 11th, 2008.

Note Above: The first Diesel engine Dr. Diesel created ran on finely ground up coal dust, but regrettably he could not keep rings and very likely valves in it due to the abrasiveness of the fuel. The Union Pacific tried this again in the 1950's with a coal dust burning gas turbine locomotive, and again the abrasiveness of the fly ash took out turbine blades at an astronomical rate. Needless to say, during WWII coal was refined into diesel and other fuels, we just haven't been pursuing the technology (wonder why?). Appreciate the discussion of fuel mixtures, my M35A2 seems quite happy on Diesel, gasoline and used rotella in mixture,as the liquid compensator is still hooked up, I'll use whatever I can get may hands on (in Texas it IS HARDER to get used MO,ATF,BF and all the other good stuff).

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce.
""??"" Johnson Mfg. Co. M105A2 1-1/2 Ton Cargo trailer, MERDC or NATO 4 Color Woodland, OK A.N.G.
1967 MEP20A 10KW Gasoline Generator Set
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114 Mercedes Benz Nato Green
(Do you see a case of OD Fever here,Perhaps? :drool: :drool: [thumbzup] rofl

AJMBLAZER

Rebelpride said:
As an aside I found some cheap non detergent 30W oil at wal-mart for $1.88/qt and have been putting a bottle in every fill up. Yesterday I refueled(wheres the lube)$80, but I figured up my mileage and I got 20mpg(and I rechecked my figures 3 times to make sure I hadn't screwed up) so I was happy.
The jist of what I was told was that one once per gallon of ULSD should be sufficient. About a year of use and mine goes great like that. I also add some diesel additive as well.

Hoping to switch to ACES fuel catelist soon. Gets rave reviews over on CK5.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks