• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternative steering options the deuce

deuce_09

im in the process of building a bobbed deuce and the tires i chose for it are the 1600r20 mich. x's. im looking for something other than hydro assist. and this deuce will be a pure offroad truck so i would like something long lasting and tough.something that wont give out easy.

deuce_09

mud guppy is runnin psc hydro assist.i dont want that i was thinin more like the power steering out of a 5 ton or out of something else. maybe a school bus? that would be be eaiser to find and cheaper too.

deathrowdave

I used hydro assist from a used fire truck . Retains the M35a2 steering box, control valve in place of the drag link . 5 ton multi pump, 2 1/2 inch cylinder to turn the wheels. Works great !!! If for some strange reason you loose hydro pump you still have manual steering . This system was built by " Garrison Steering ". I will try to post pictures this weekend . Have a great and safe day ,Dave:beer:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

dozer1

I used hydro assist from a used fire truck . Retains the M35a2 steering box, control valve in place of the drag link . 5 ton multi pump, 2 1/2 inch cylinder to turn the wheels. Works great !!! If for some strange reason you loose hydro pump you still have manual steering . This system was built by " Garrison Steering ". I will try to post pictures this weekend . Have a great and safe day ,Dave:beer:
Does the control valve that replaces the drag link go in there with ease or much mods? Sounds like a great way to eliminate the hassles of replacing the deuce steering gear box. I wanna know more such as the maufacture of that valve. (A re-read shows Garrison steering) I imagine that the steering is then handled by a hyd. cylinder pushing and pulling the tie rod. I will have to go scavanging in a truck salvage

ranchhopper

I know several guys that used the power steering units off five ton trucks with the LDS engines in them they bolt right up to the LDTs.

Last edited:

Unforgiven

Go to

HeavyTruckParts.Net - Search for Parts

Search under Steering Gear/Rack

If you are willing to go outside the frame rail (perhaps forward, near the bumper) there are ONE ZILLION choices.

You can do an advanced search to only show listings with photos.

If you want to stay "stock"-ish then look at Gringletaube's excellent p.s. mod. using a Ross box.

Any large diesel truck out of the salvage yard should have p.s. boxes that are more than beefy enough for 53" tires.

jesusgatos

I'd like to hear more about this too. Please post some pics too!

deuce_09

hey clinto thanks and just so u know i DID take the time to look through the forum. and for some reason thats the only thing i didn't search. i searched deuce power steering 5 ton power steering and all kinds of other stuff but i found no answers..simular threads but they didn't answer the question.i guess i need to simplify the searches.

deuce_09

what fire truck did u get it out of

deathrowdave

Here are the pictures ,Pm if i can be of any help !!! Have a great and safe day,Dave :beer:

Attachments

deathrowdave

Yea,my wife loves it !!! Same just uses hydro instead of air. Steers 100X eaiser . This type of steering was used on GMC or Chevrolet around 1969 40-60 series. let me know if I can be of any help . I found this on a cab over design fire truck 1982 vintage .

tm america

deathrowdave super nice install-fab job.just one thing i dont like .....welded steering arms are scary at best.i was bidding on a setup like that on fleabay a few years ago.It was off of a combine.this seems to be the safest easiest way to add decend steering to w deuce without going broke doing it.thanks for the pics:beer:

deuce_09

deathrowdave super nice install-fab job.just one thing i dont like .....welded steering arms are scary at best.i was bidding on a setup like that on fleabay a few years ago.It was off of a combine.this seems to be the safest easiest way to add decend steering to w deuce without going broke doing it.thanks for the pics:beer:
y do u say welded steering arms are scary?the fact that its only as strong as the welds on it?

jesusgatos

Fabricated steering components can be VERY strong. I'd trust my life to the fabricated pitman arm shown in this picture. But most of the modified steering arms I've seen on Rockwell axles scare me to death. Seems like most guys are hacking them to work 'better' with lifted trucks. When you start making that steering arm taller, it's going to be subjected to forces that it was never intended to take. I think it's a terrible idea. Sorry for the rant. Not even talking about your truck. It's too hard to tell from the pics whether that's a well-made part, but I'd like to think you've done a good job.

Attachments

deathrowdave

Thanks for the thoughts . Another set of eyes always is helpful . Steering arm is made of froged steel. It was welded and xrayed for penetration by nuke certified welder . It was raised 3 inches with 1x3 bar stock and 3/4 inch thick gusset, also uses 5 ton end to be able to use 1 1/2 inch ball stud, to mate to Garrison Control Valve . I would not trust without xray. Have a great and safe day, Dave [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks