• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternative to an M35

Hummer Guy

Don't know if this the correct place to post, but let's say if parts start becoming scarce for the m35. What would be the best alternative to the m35 in terms of having a 12ft bed or slightly longer, being reliable, not being so huge, and being simple? It doesn't have to be as simple if the systems aren't common for breaking down. The only trucks that I know will be an option is the LMTV, FMTV, & 5 ton. I've heard bad things about all of these, especially the LMTV & FMTV with electronic issues which is my nightmare. Are there any specific model years that weeded out those issues? As far as I know, these trucks are still being produce so the parts available for these should also be far more than what you'll see from the 5 ton

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Don't know if this the correct place to post, but let's say if parts start becoming scarce for the m35. What would be the best alternative to the m35 in terms of having a 12ft bed or slightly longer, being reliable, not being so huge, and being simple? It doesn't have to be as simple if the systems aren't common for breaking down. The only trucks that I know will be an option is the LMTV, FMTV, & 5 ton. I've heard bad things about all of these, especially the LMTV & FMTV with electronic issues which is my nightmare. Are there any specific model years that weeded out those issues? As far as I know, these trucks are still being produce so the parts available for these should also be far more than what you'll see from the 5 ton
Only about 5 parts from a 809 or M939 series 5 ton can not be sourced from napa, oreillys, truck parts places. They used common truck setups in use.

This is a parts spreadsheet of interchangeable 5 ton parts.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The Deuce (M35) has been around for a lot of years. Wasn't called a M35 back in WWII but the body style was the same and did the same job. The M35 started life as a REO Motor Car Company vehicle in 1949.

The M35a3 generally has a 3116 Caterpillar power plant - all serviceable by CAT if your pockets are deep enough. The 3116 doesn't have the electronics of the 3126 in the newer LMTV's, so it has a better chance of being "wrenched on" by normal folks.

I don't see parts disappearing any time soon. Especially with the parts spreadsheet to help you find good civilian parts at the local store...

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's not much in the "domestic" market equivalent to the M35A2. The older M211/M135 are less reliable and harder to find parts for, also all gasoline. The M35A3 is an option but they are uncommon and a half-breed with weaknesses of their own. That leaves the LMTV which officially replaced these trucks by role. Beyond that you're looking at a 5 ton truck which was as much a back done of the Army as the M35A2 was. Speaking from experience, the M939 series trucks are as good as it gets for simplicity and reliability.

HDN

I'd say the LMTV from the mid 1990s would be an alternative from what I've read. I don't believe those trucks have electronic diesels, but the Cat 3116 like the M35A3. I think they all have electronic transmissions though.

If I got a 5-ton I'd want an M939 truck, with the M809 or M39A1 coming second. Hard to beat air brakes IMO.

EDIT: If you wanted a deuce you could load up to 5 tons on paved surfaces, then the MTV would be better for its rated cargo weight capacity.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'd say the LMTV from the mid 1990s would be an alternative from what I've read. I don't believe those trucks have electronic diesels, but the Cat 3116 like the M35A3. I think they all have electronic transmissions though.

If I got a 5-ton I'd want an M939 truck, with the M809 or M39A1 coming second. Hard to beat air brakes IMO.

EDIT: If you wanted a deuce you could load up to 5 tons on paved surfaces, then the MTV would be better for its rated cargo weight capacity.
M35A3s use a AT545 commonly found in a school bus. It is Non electronic.

Hummer Guy

The Deuce (M35) has been around for a lot of years. Wasn't called a M35 back in WWII but the body style was the same and did the same job. The M35 started life as a REO Motor Car Company vehicle in 1949.

The M35a3 generally has a 3116 Caterpillar power plant - all serviceable by CAT if your pockets are deep enough. The 3116 doesn't have the electronics of the 3126 in the newer LMTV's, so it has a better chance of being "wrenched on" by normal folks.

I don't see parts disappearing any time soon. Especially with the parts spreadsheet to help you find good civilian parts at the local store...
Does cat sell those parts on the shelf or do you have to get them to service it?

HDN

Does cat sell those parts on the shelf or do you have to get them to service it?
I haven't had to buy any Cat parts (hope I won't have to for awhile!) but I wouldn't expect it to be any different from buying parts from a John Deere or Chrysler dealer. IIRC I used their online parts catalog to look up engine filters for price comparisons (hint: 3rd party sellers were less expensive- got the proper genuine Cat fuel and oil filter NIB from an EBay seller).