• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator alignment adjustment

1009er

A couple weeks ago I threw my driver side alt belt. I had just bought the truck a month ago or so. Checking everything out the belts where on the wrong sheave. Luckily I had a belt in back of the truck when I bought the truck ( unknown age of belt) and it happened to be the right belt. Drove it home and went to Napa to buy all new ones. Put them on and squealed terribly. The pass side alt needs to be shimmed out close to a 1/4 inch by looking at a straight edge. Given the make of the bracket there's not that much room for adjustment. Has any one ran into this problem? My guess is that it's the wrong alt. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get home

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cucvrus

Does it have dual alternators and does it still have the 6.2 diesel in it. Hard question to answer with so many changes that get made to these poor CUCV's. Picture will help. But alignment of the pulleys will be the best place to start.
and it happened to be the right belt. Does that mean you had the correct belt or it was the belt on the right alternator? Pictures would help. You should have 2 alternators.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed my passenger side pulley is slightly out of alinement also. Tried to shim it with a washer but didn't help much. I put new belts on 5 years ago and they haven't giving me a bit of trouble nor are they wearing oddly. As far as the squealing, you have to have them real tight or try some belt dressing. There was some discussion in one of the forms on what belt brands and sizes work the best. Search is your friend.

1009er

Yes 2 alts and the 6.2. when I bought the truck there was a belt sitting in the back. It was pretty sun faded but I was on the way to work so I tried to see if it would fit and it did. I'll take pictures in the light tomorrow. The alt looks like it's a good 1/4 inch to the rear of the truck by lookin at it with a straight edge. The bracket won't allow for it be moved to the front. I can shim out the bottom pivot bolt but the top won't come out with the bracket

Ordak

Yes 2 alts and the 6.2. when I bought the truck there was a belt sitting in the back. It was pretty sun faded but I was on the way to work so I tried to see if it would fit and it did. I'll take pictures in the light tomorrow. The alt looks like it's a good 1/4 inch to the rear of the truck by lookin at it with a straight edge. The bracket won't allow for it be moved to the front. I can shim out the bottom pivot bolt but the top won't come out with the bracket

Might want to get an extra belt

1009er

I put a new belt on it. I just used that one to get the truck home and bought a new one from Napa. I didn't even realize how out of alignment they were until I started it up and heard the squealing. The Napa belt is a lot more heavy duty than the dayco that I patched it with. I think the Napa belt has brought it to life because of it being bigger all the way around it doesn't have room for a little misalignment

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try to post some clear pictures from above and the sides. The bracket may be on wrong. When I put mine back on it didn't line up, then I realized I had the adjuster on the wrong side of its mating bracket.

1009er

Sorry I hadn't been on here. Been a long Christmas time. A little update. Was able to get a pulley that sits out a little farther. Lines up great. But it is still squealing terribly loud. All belts are tight, on the right pulleys, and everything spins freely. I'm afraid to say but I'm gonna have to take it to a shop. I'm out of ideas on this one.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is your voltmeter reading when the belts are squealing?

Have you ran out of belt adjustment?

1009er

just browsing through the forums I never updated what happened. I fought belts left and right for month. had pass alt rebuilt due to voltage regulator, then bearings went out on the driver side right after. thought I was going to have it fixed and good to go after that. WRONG! 50 miles after that broke another belt. The one obvious thing I never even thought of and feel like an idiot. It just took a couple hours of time and a few small wire wheels. RUST on the pulleys. the truck had sat for a while and had a nice coating of rust on all pulleys. Ive now made it a couple hundred miles without issue. Whodathunk that one. Even had it in a shop a few times seeing if there was anything I missed. My brother in law was looking at it and pointed it out. cleaned up and BAM!!!

cucvrus

I have been there and done that. I now have solid cast pulleys on all my CUCV alternators. That thin stamped stock pulley rusts and gets like a 24 grit grinding disk. It will eat belts for breakfast. Ask the rebuilder to replace the pulleys with solid cast/machined pulleys and scarp the stamp pulleys. Have a great day.

1009er

Both alternator pulleys were fine. It was the crankshaft fan and PS that were the culprits. The crankshaft pulley is a pain in the ass to get it cleaned up. I didn't have room to get my die grinder in there so had to use a small wire brush.... Good lesson learned lol. Buy new!