• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator autozone DL7157 driver side

mezc

So this one came with the pulley diameter smaller than the original, I could not adjust the belt, I even tried to move the power steering pump away to tense the belt, but the original belt is to long.

I did not want to remove the pulley from the original to the autozone, what have you done?

I was thinking to buy a smaller belt.

Wiki has:
Belts
Driver side alt- Gates# 7575; Dayco# 15580
Passenger side alt- Gates# 7483; Dayco# 15490
Power Steering- Gates# 7448; Dayco#15455

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mangus580

I would suggest taking it back and getting the correct alternator. Autozone doesnt carry a proper replacement as far as I know.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the shafts are the same, why not swap pulleys? (no cost, less work)

mezc

If the shafts are the same, why not swap pulleys? (no cost, less work)

I try to remove the pulley retaining nut, using a vise and a 15mm socket, it didn't move and I didn't want to force it, there was like and allen screw on the shaft but I didn'tt have a socket for that size. do I need to take this one or just the nut?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to hold the shaft from rotating, with an allen wrench, and use a box-end wrench on the nut.(that's how I do it) You could give it a "blip" with an impact wrench, to get it loose also. Don't install it like that though.

Once the nut is off, the pulley will slide right off the shaft. Watch the order of nut, washer, pulley ,fan and bushing, and replace them in the same order. (if that's how yours is assembled)

Last edited:

mezc

Thanks I went to AutoZone and they change it for me using an impact wrench, they did it so quick that I did not have time to complain that they put it back using the same impact wrench; any way seems they do it very often in that way, I hope they did not over torque.

They told me the old alternator was no bueno, I place the new but only 12.7 V at idle the same as the original, the passenger alternator gives 14V at idle, I try to accelerate buy I could not find how under the hood, (yep I am cucv newbie).

I ran it to work today 50 miles, first time rolling, Is beautiful amazingly smooth, the voltmeter went from yellow to green.

I try to do more test on the driver alternator later today.