• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator carnage!

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20211002_145302.jpg

20211002_145253.jpg

While disassembling my voltage regulator to replace it I found what looks like Apollo 1 and smells like the best materials that the EPA banned decades ago. It looks like the fire? originated at the #5 terminal and made everything else nice & crispy. This alternator still works pumping out 33.2 volts and I'm crossing my fingers that the new voltage regulator will get it working properly. The 1/8" pipe plug was missing from the top of the alternator and I think it's been overcharging since I bought the truck 3 years ago.

20211002_092033.jpg

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Success! A shop vac, a flat screw driver, and some electronics cleaner got it all cleaned up inside and the new regulator went back on. I got everything reinstalled, cleaned all connections, checked the voltage at wire 568 and then started it up. I was relieved to see the needle of the gauge hover just beyond the white tick mark instead of pegged to the far right and I was glad it didn't let any smoke out of the harness.

FYI: the adjustable potentiometer on this voltage regulator had an adjusting range of 270° (3/4 of a complete turn) and a 1/4 turn was about a 2 volt difference. It had a philips head adjusting screw and did not have any clicks or detents.
20211002_162114.jpg

It was so touchy that i adjusted it to 28.38 volts and called it good. This is what 28.38 looks like on my gauge while running:
20211002_175340.jpg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome the the finest in 60A alternator design. (not).

Prestolite really got into the gov contracts with that design, and those are very prone to exactly the type of failure you experienced.

The best thing the military did to help prevent regulator failure was to run the main output wire directly to the batteries +24V.

At least the internal 3-phase rectifier bank is pretty tough, and seldom fails.

Within demand limits, the old 25A generator was known to run for years, come Hell or high water. 700 Watts of 24V power, 24/7.

G744.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually when someone on here experiences some of that carnage, they upgrade. Have you check out this thread from MyothersanM1. It's a simple upgrade.
I looked through those posts and that does look like a clean, simple upgrade. Does that setup have just a 1 wire hookup?

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it uses all the wires on your alternator lead, or you can tape of the sensing wire. I was also told you can wire it up in a way that bypasses the PCB.

Steelreaper80

Get a 24volt Delco clone and throw that thing in the trash. I have blown up 2 of them. Went to a 21SI clone and had no issues with 30K miles on it. If I get another truck the very first thing I will do it swap out the alternator before I even pull away from the lot I bought the truck from. I can not overstate how BAD those alternators are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks