• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator charging too high

Mattgyver

Ok so I changed my alternators out a few months ago when they went out. I have been watching how high they have been charging because I feared maybe there was any electrical problem and thats why they went out last time... I noticed today that one of my alternators is charging my battery at around 19.6 but the other one is charging at around 14. Anyone know what might be wrong so that I dont burn out both alternators again? Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say you "changed out" your alternators, did you replace them with new or rebuilt alts?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you buy new isolated ground, alternators from?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure he offers a warranty, have you asked about getting a replacement?

Mattgyver

No, not yet because Im not sure if there is a different problem.. The other alternators went out after a pretty long trip. I took another semi long trip on friday and now its acting up.

hobie237

Overcharging is a result of a bad voltage regulator. Since this is internal to the alternator, the choices are to A) rebuild or B) replace the affected unit. The one around 14 is fine, the one around 19.6 is bad.

Note: This assumes that you are measuring from the output to the isolated ground of each alternator. If measuring from the output to chassis ground, #1 should show around 14 and #2 around 28. If that's how you're measuring, then the alternator showing 19.6 is still bad, but in a different way. Same choices of action, though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks