• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator driven diesel tach?

Chuckanut

Hey guys, I’m looking for a 2 1/16 size tach gauge and I found a isspro gauge but it saids “ sensor required“. Has anybody not used the sensor and wired one up to the alternator? Or does anybody know of any 2 1/16 diesel gauges that wire up to the alternator I found 4000 RPM gauges that say they wire up to the alternator but they’re not for diesels. Thanks guys

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys, I’m looking for a 2 1/16 size tach gauge and I found a isspro gauge but it saids “ sensor required“. Has anybody not used the sensor and wired one up to the alternator? Or does anybody know of any 2 1/16 diesel gauges that wire up to the alternator I found 4000 RPM gauges that say they wire up to the alternator but they’re not for diesels. Thanks guys
The gauge doesn't care what engine it is.

Barrman

The CUCV alternators have a tachomoter output on the back for the STE/ICE system. Your tach might work off that signal. The best way to make it work and be able to get calibrated is to by the Dakota Digital diesel alternator tach adaptor. I have one on my CUCV engined and wired M715 and one on my 6.5 powered Suburban.

Keith_J

I have that tachometer in my CUCV, running off the driver side alternator. No adapter required.

The tach terminal is variable frequency alternating current from one of the three field windings. Most traditional tachometer use the ignition coil primary voltage which is a variable frequency pulsed direct current.

Stock 24 volt 100 amp CUCV have a 7.75 inch crank pulley and a 3 inch alternator pulley, meaning the alternator spins 2.583 times faster than the engine. The rotor is a 16 pole (8 north and 8 south poles). These factors are used to calibrate the tachometer.

This means every turn of the crank causes 2.583 x 8 cycles per revolution. For an idle speed of 625 RPM, that is a frequency of 215.25 Hz which can be measured with a good digital multimeter. 3600 RPM will be about 1240 Hz.

Keep in mind the engine can spin much faster than 3600 RPM, the fuel only.fully cuts off at 4400 RPM.

Chuckanut

I have that tachometer in my CUCV, running off the driver side alternator. No adapter required.

The tach terminal is variable frequency alternating current from one of the three field windings. Most traditional tachometer use the ignition coil primary voltage which is a variable frequency pulsed direct current.

Stock 24 volt 100 amp CUCV have a 7.75 inch crank pulley and a 3 inch alternator pulley, meaning the alternator spins 2.583 times faster than the engine. The rotor is a 16 pole (8 north and 8 south poles). These factors are used to calibrate the tachometer.

This means every turn of the crank causes 2.583 x 8 cycles per revolution. For an idle speed of 625 RPM, that is a frequency of 215.25 Hz which can be measured with a good digital multimeter. 3600 RPM will be about 1240 Hz.

Keep in mind the engine can spin much faster than 3600 RPM, the fuel only.fully cuts off at 4400 RPM.
So you have the isspro? Does it matter witch one? Also how did you hook it up to the alternator?

Keith_J

I have the VDO tach mentioned in the quoted thread.
ISSPro uses a Hall Effect or magnetic sensor, requiring 2 magnets to be installed on the crank pulley. Far from ideal because that is 2 pulses per revolution. And gluing magnets to the crank pulley is another failure point.

Alternator tachometers for the 27 SI have pulley ratio of 2.583:1 multiplied by 8 "pulses" per alternator revolution. Over 10 times the precision plus the signal is a sine wave, allowing for common mode rejection filter on the signal.

Alternator tachometers require calibration, the VDO was a bit fussy since the spin lock mount had to be removed for fine tuning with a jeweler's screwdriver.

Chuckanut

chevymike

I used a diesel tach from Speedhut Gauges for my build. It runs off the tach output on the alternator. I used a cheap Amazon RPM checker to establish the idle RPM's and then adjusted the tach to match. Works great.

RPM checker
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q8L894

Speedhut Gauges - They are custom made to your specs (i.e. pointer style, font, color, lighting, etc)

Keith_J

One more note on tach calibration..regardless if you use magnets attached to the damper pulley or Hall Effect sensor on ring gear, the tach only needs a one point calibration. This is how most tachometers can be calibrated with only a few switches and a fine adjust potentiometer.

Alternator stator alternating current is the same, the only weakness is belt slip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks