• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator dummy lights

I’m aware, they complete the charging system and if they’re not working the batteries will not charge, I would like to completely remove the dummy lights & switch the cluster out to something more modern with LED lights, does anyone have the original m1008 CUCV alternator dummy light wiring diagram so I could see how to possibly remove them while keeping the alternators working, or even just advise on how to remove that section of the circuit? I have found very little information on the situation, and don’t like the idea of having my alternator not work due to a dummy light failure, could I even put a normal voltage gauge in for each alternator & complete the circuit that way? Or is that not possible, (I have the original 24v gauge on the top right of the cluster still) and would also like information on removing it entirely. Thanks.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this on how to eliminate the light bulb.

Wiring 10Si, 12Si, 15Si, 17Si, and 27Si Series Alternators
General Motors has only had 4 different series alternators since it first replaced generators with alternators in the 1960's. The very first alternator was the 10DN externally regulated alternator. The first internal regulated alternator was the 10Si series starting in the early 70's and used till the mid 80's. These alternators were quite popular for auto, truck, industrial, marine, farm and adaptive applications. Since the introduction of the 10Si, GM's Delco-Remy line has offered the 12Si, 15Si, 17Si, 27Si then the CS and AD series alternators for cars and light trucks.
This first section will cover wiring information for the SI series only, we will go over the CS and AD series wiring later. Although they may vary in size and output, the wiring is the same for all the Si series. Wiring these alternators is quite simple. All the Si alternators can be considered both 2 and 3 wire systems. To activate these alternators you are only required to supply the main battery wire to the (BAT) terminal which must have power on and an ignition wire to the #1 terminal. Most all the Si series alternators should have two spade terminals, but some that have three terminals, the third is for a tachometer connection and senses the alternator RPM.

Near the spade terminals, the rear housing should be marked #1 and #2. Some aftermarket housings are not marked and others may be worn off. So if your alternator housing is unmarked, look from the rear of the alternator: the #1 terminal is on the left and the #2 on the right. You only need an ignition wire to the #1 terminal to make an Si series alternator work. The #2 terminal is for voltage sensing, and is optional. The #2 voltage sensing terminal allows the voltage regulator to sense the battery voltage so it knows when to turn the alternator on and off. The #2 terminal, if it is not used, causes the regulator to revert to internal sensing and pick up the battery voltage at the main battery wire on the back of the alternator. Some alternators are wired with a jumper from the #2 terminal directly to the battery connection at the back of the alternators, but this is not needed.

The ignition wire to the #1 terminal can be supplied in two ways, either a direct ignition wire from the key switch or through a light bulb. Running the ignition wire through a light bulb before connection to the alternator will give you a warning if your alternator fails to start charging or if it quits working while the engine is running, this is commonly known as the idiot light. Another thing that should be mentioned is the #1 terminal must be ignition switched. I have heard of situations where a wire was run to the #1 terminal that had power on at all times. What happens is when the engine is turned off the #1 terminal switches to ground which over time can burn up the voltage regulator or the wire if power is not cut to the #1 terminal. Another note for special installations of the Si series alternator is that in some cases when you try to shut the vehicle off, power to the #1 terminal from ground to positive power, the positive power feeds up to the coil and keeps the vehicle running. To cure this you must install a diode in the ignition wire that activates the #1 terminal. The diode will stop the power from feeding back up the ignition line.

More information here on the 27SI Alternator:
27SI INFO
Look at Figure 7.

SI series wiring

I found this on how to eliminate the light bulb.

Wiring 10Si, 12Si, 15Si, 17Si, and 27Si Series Alternators
General Motors has only had 4 different series alternators since it first replaced generators with alternators in the 1960's. The very first alternator was the 10DN externally regulated alternator. The first internal regulated alternator was the 10Si series starting in the early 70's and used till the mid 80's. These alternators were quite popular for auto, truck, industrial, marine, farm and adaptive applications. Since the introduction of the 10Si, GM's Delco-Remy line has offered the 12Si, 15Si, 17Si, 27Si then the CS and AD series alternators for cars and light trucks.
This first section will cover wiring information for the SI series only, we will go over the CS and AD series wiring later. Although they may vary in size and output, the wiring is the same for all the Si series. Wiring these alternators is quite simple. All the Si alternators can be considered both 2 and 3 wire systems. To activate these alternators you are only required to supply the main battery wire to the (BAT) terminal which must have power on and an ignition wire to the #1 terminal. Most all the Si series alternators should have two spade terminals, but some that have three terminals, the third is for a tachometer connection and senses the alternator RPM.

Near the spade terminals, the rear housing should be marked #1 and #2. Some aftermarket housings are not marked and others may be worn off. So if your alternator housing is unmarked, look from the rear of the alternator: the #1 terminal is on the left and the #2 on the right. You only need an ignition wire to the #1 terminal to make an Si series alternator work. The #2 terminal is for voltage sensing, and is optional. The #2 voltage sensing terminal allows the voltage regulator to sense the battery voltage so it knows when to turn the alternator on and off. The #2 terminal, if it is not used, causes the regulator to revert to internal sensing and pick up the battery voltage at the main battery wire on the back of the alternator. Some alternators are wired with a jumper from the #2 terminal directly to the battery connection at the back of the alternators, but this is not needed.

The ignition wire to the #1 terminal can be supplied in two ways, either a direct ignition wire from the key switch or through a light bulb. Running the ignition wire through a light bulb before connection to the alternator will give you a warning if your alternator fails to start charging or if it quits working while the engine is running, this is commonly known as the idiot light. Another thing that should be mentioned is the #1 terminal must be ignition switched. I have heard of situations where a wire was run to the #1 terminal that had power on at all times. What happens is when the engine is turned off the #1 terminal switches to ground which over time can burn up the voltage regulator or the wire if power is not cut to the #1 terminal. Another note for special installations of the Si series alternator is that in some cases when you try to shut the vehicle off, power to the #1 terminal from ground to positive power, the positive power feeds up to the coil and keeps the vehicle running. To cure this you must install a diode in the ignition wire that activates the #1 terminal. The diode will stop the power from feeding back up the ignition line.

More information here on the 27SI Alternator:
27SI INFO
Look at Figure 7.

SI series wiring
Much appreciated, so it’s as simple as running an ignition wire & bypassing the light while making sure it has the correct ohms. Considering I’ll be completely switching gauge clusters to an aftermarket style. Thanks again.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much appreciated, so it’s as simple as running an ignition wire & bypassing the light while making sure it has the correct ohms. Considering I’ll be completely switching gauge clusters to an aftermarket style. Thanks again.
If you go down that path please share what you do as I’ve been debating this as well!

If I were to go that far custom I’d rewire the truck with a new harness and go 12v with a single alternator.
I’ve thought about the 12volt conversion route, but it really serves me no purpose but the 24volt system does, the truck has a Updated sound system with 8 speakers, touch screen headunit, & two 12” subwoofers. The 24volt system removes the need to install a capacitor being it supports the audio system power wise more than sufficiently. No light dimming, or power drops when the subwoofers hit.

ehuppert

I believe the alternators WILL charge regardless if lights are working. A quick blip of the throttle to increase rpm's will initiate charging.... I replaced the CUCV cluster with a civy gauge package cluster and moved wires around in connector to make everything work! (has voltmeter now!)

I'm a fan of dummy lights though! My Camaro (previous drag car, now back on road) has aftermarket gauges, but have a dummy light above oil pressure gauge so it's really obvious if pressure drops!

Nice to be able to monitor gauges, but generally you just need to know if not charging, overheating, etc....

Eric

Finnegan1008

I'm a fan of dummy lights though! My Camaro (previous drag car, now back on road) has aftermarket gauges, but have a dummy light above oil pressure gauge so it's really obvious if pressure drops!

Nice to be able to monitor gauges, but generally you just need to know if not charging, overheating, etc....

Eric

Not to go too sideways on the conversation but I'm sure the dummy lights were spec'd to remove any opinion from the operator. It's much easier to train and lead someone to report something as broken when the light turns on VS relying on interpretation of what a gauge is saying. I think it's one of the things that makes these trucks cool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks