• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator/Generator housing broke. Repair?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have to replace it at this point anyway, you might consider switching to a 24V alternator instead. Much higher reliability and more plentiful in the market. Not all that complicated to make/modify the brackets to mount it. Just have to get the correct pulley.
Coug, I think you mean dual amperage 200 amp alternator. They are all 24 ( 28 Volt). 😉

papakb

Gentlemen, Sielman is a Greek manufacturer of the Prestolite/Leece-Neville 60 amp AMA5104 alternators. Southern Automotive is the American manufacturer of these alternators and their parts so their front housing will fix this problem. 100 and 200 amp alternators that cost upwards of $500 is a very expensive way to replace a $65 part wouldn't you think?

I've been a HMMWV owner/driver/repairer for the last 20 years and have seen this disturbing trend where new owners do no research and just continue to throw money at their trucks. Sometimes it's the only way to go but spent a little time rather than a whole lot of money on your toy!

BLK HMMWV

Gentlemen, Sielman is a Greek manufacturer of the Prestolite/Leece-Neville 60 amp AMA5104 alternators. Southern Automotive is the American manufacturer of these alternators and their parts so their front housing will fix this problem. 100 and 200 amp alternators that cost upwards of $500 is a very expensive way to replace a $65 part wouldn't you think?

I've been a HMMWV owner/driver/repairer for the last 20 years and have seen this disturbing trend where new owners do no research and just continue to throw money at their trucks. Sometimes it's the only way to go but spent a little time rather than a whole lot of money on your toy!
I guess.
Depends upon what he plans to do with truck.
If he is going to ever think about upgrading to a bigger alternator down the road then he might be wiser to upgrade now.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The problem now is he heated up the alternator because he did not take the time to disassemble it before trying to weld the broken pieces, at this point he has no idea what damage he has done to the alternator, as he said it no longer works.
Throwing any more money at this alternator would probably just be a waste.
Being a mechanical rookie and impatient he is learning can be very expensive.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He needs to open the current unit and identify what went bad. Might be simple or might be expensive. Might need new alternator. Might only need regulator. Might have fried a simple spring on a brush. Might just need to fix a loose wire. Might meet new stator in which case the entire unit is junk.

He won’t know until he opens and looks

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the windings saw anything above 450F say goodbye to the insulating coating on the magnet wire. With trying to braze the casing I'm sure the temp was high. It happens.

Mark