• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator ground question

beetleswamp

I just changed the head gaksets on my 86 M1008 and go the thing almost all the way back together but the plastic electrical stuff is all crumbly and falling apart so I'm taking extra precautions to make sure everything is where it should be.

I'm down to the ground strap on the alternator and trying to figure out which hole it goes in. I took pictures of everything else thinking alternators are easy, but now I'm not sure where the ground strap on the drivers side is supposed to go.

Some diagrams I saw show a bolt going into this hole. The threads look kinda shiny on the inside too, but the hole on the ground strap is smaller diameter than the bolt that fits in there. On the inside of the alternator it does not connect to anything else except the housing.

Cam003.jpg

Cam002.jpg

This is the place where the manual says to hook up the ground strap, but the nut is completely recessed into this little plastic thing and hard to get out. On the inside it looks like this is where some of the guts are fastened to and I'm hesitant to mess with it.

Cam004.jpg

Cam001.jpg

This is how it looks when everything else is hooked up. There is also a brown wire with a white stripe coming out of the harness and I'm not sure where that goes either since none of the manuals I've read mention it.

Cam005.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I still haven't fired it up yet since the gasket change so I'm still on edge hoping everything is good. The clients are starting to wonder where I am as well.

Mahalo!

Attachments

beetleswamp

Oh yes the other thing is that the faq article http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showwiki.php?title=wiki:Cucv states that the passenger side alt must have a dedicated ground but all the manuals I've read show it on the drivers side. I'm probably getting stuff confused here so forgive me if that's the case. I'm going back out to change the oil, fill up the rad, and get ready to purge the fuel lines.

Oh btw how do you like the wd40 straw pointer? Pretty nifty eh!

mangus580

Drivers side is dedicated ground. Passenger can be either type. Your second picture is the ground. Is the brown and white wire to the water temp sender?

This is very WRONG.

Pay attention to what you are posting... Someone could get VERY hurt.

Technically both alternators are a dedicated ground. The drivers side has a wire that runs from the isolated ground terminal to the head. The passenger side, runs from the isolated ground to the 12+ fusible link.

Westech

CPL
AHHHHHHH!!!! The drive side is the only alternator that can be a CASE ground. both alts are the same on the Stock military CUCV. Both Alts have a ISOLATED ground. The Case is NOT grounded. On the driver side the black ground wire goes

and the little brown wire is a signal wire for the ICE sets... RPM

Attachments

Last edited:

beetleswamp

Sweet thanks guys. This one has been racking my brain all day. I figured out why there is no stud on the ground lead. Darn thing snapped off when I was taking it apart and I completely forgot.

This is one tough truck to put up with so much neglect and still cruise like it did.

The mystery lead is actually black with a white stripe. Brown wire already has a home. Any ideas? I think I'm going to tape it off and try starting just cause I really need to hear this thing running again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The black, with white stripe wire, goes on the alternator ground lug(gen1),with the heavy Black wire.

It is shown in the diagnostics circuits schematic(not the charging system schematic) in the TM.

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
that might have been me.... All I know is the #2 alt light come on. the driver side alt sounded like it was grinding up rocks.. I replaced it and the light went out.

Wolf.Dose

Ground to gen1

The black cable is the ground of gen 1 on the driver side. The connector is the same as the terminal that comes from the connector on the bulk head as a red one to gen 2 (called the eng wrg harness block). For details refer to TM 9 2320-289-20 page F-11.
Wolf

rottiedog

Gen 1 matches page f-11.

Gen 2 doesn't

F-11 has red to + and red/white to -

Mine has a red to both with an additional orange to +

This looks to be the same as the "before" picture that I took but it could be wrong.

rottiedog

Figure the odds of there being two alternator posts right next to each other......My post was supposed to be attached to the one I started, not this one.....

Sorry, it's late and I fell off my truck!!