• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator help

chevywood

Ok guys, was having trouble with rear battery that kept going bad, noticed that gen 2 light was not on with key on and was getting nothing from exciter wire. Replace alt. 2 with one that I had rebuilt, 2nd time I have replace this one in last 6 months, anyway everything seemed back to normal. Decided to take it for an evening drive and everything seemed normal. When I got back and shut it down flipped key back on and no gen 2 light. No idea what keeps ruining my alternators.

thanks in advance
jesse

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever taken the instrument cluster out and cleaned it? What about the wiring harness plug at the firewall?

chevywood

I have actually put in a new instrument cluster with some new bulb sockets, I haven't really messed with the wiring harness plug on the firewall as that looks like a mess, but it is pretty dirty. I was just reading your thread about upgrading the headlight wiring harness. I also need to now get a couple new rebuild kits but last one was from cucv electric and site has not come back up yet

Patattack

Could be worseone of you battiers could almost exploded from the drivers side overcharging,and the funny thing is I rebuilt that alternator with that kit from cucvelectric because it was charging low. Now its charging at 17.6 VOLTS! I thinkits those kits because that original alt lasted 26 years before rebuild. Iwould like to get in touch with him and try and get a new regulator because Idon’t have the money to pay the 150-200 for a new one and that truck sad as itmight be is my daily driver and I don’t like steeling my wife’s car all thetime... Looks like I'm going to the rebuild shop and try and save it some how orI’m going 12 volt don’t have the money or time to mess with the 24 anymore itsa poor system anyways GM hacked the wiring harness on those things and I canget a 12 volt starter for 100 bucks less then that alt.

But i could be bad kits that my option.

:-?

kabar1

My gen 2 light keeps flickering seems to do it only when the dash volt gauge is still in the green but almost out, so I would say to much juice? Should I rebuild the alternator??

Patattack

Test the alts with a voltmeter. the left isnt to exceed 16 volts and the drivers 31.8volts if it does bad regulators. You can get them rebuilt at a good rebuild shop for way less then new.