• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

alternator help

jmsneorrcom

84 M1009 - My generator 2 light has not come on in a while - when I was on the expressway goming home from work the generator 1 light came on and the headlights went out and windshield wipers quite working. I am thinking Both alternators are out. If so what alternators to use as replacements?
thanks

Barrman

It seems your #2 alternator might not have been working for a while now. Then, your front battery went dead which is what runs all the accessories on your truck. It could be a fuse, a broken wire, a burned fusable link, bad battery terminal, bad battery cable, loose wire at the junction block on the firewall and about 15 other things besides the alternators. We really can't tell until you dig into it a bit more.

Barrman

This is going to sound like a snide comment, but the -20 manual troubleshooting section is where you should start.

Where was the volt meter on the dash showing all the time the #2 alternator wasn't working right?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Throw it away and get a new one. This one is used up.

Really you should start with the basics. Get the FREE technical manuals, read the main posts in the CUCV forum, and learn your truck. After rereading some of you other posts like "Where is the starter" "Where are the light bulbs for the speedo", etc... it is obvious you haven't spent time reading the manuals.

You can not take it to the local GM repair shop. You HAVE to be your own mechanic. How do GM mechanics learn to work on stuff? They go to school and study the manuals.

That is where you need to start.

I am not trying to be hard on your but you need to put the effort into learning your truck.

Last edited:

jmsneorrcom

Throw it away and get a new one. This one is used up.

Really you should start with the basics. Get the FREE technical manuals, read the main posts in the CUCV forum, and learn your truck. After rereading some of you other posts like "Where is the starter" "Where are the light bulbs for the speedo", etc... it is obvious you haven't spent time reading the manuals.

You can not take it to the local GM repair shop. You HAVE to be your own mechanic. How do GM mechanics learn to work on stuff? They go to school and study the manuals.

That is where you need to start.

I am not trying to be hard on your but you need to put the effort into learning your truck.
Thanks Warthog for the constructive critisim - its my first CUCV and you can only get so much information from the technical manuals

Wolf.Dose

For me jmsneorrcom is doing what nowaday is standard in the bussiness life: spread e-mails around to anybody, someone is willing to do your job (almost wrote stupid enough). I hate this behaviour.
The only real thing is to learn the job, even the hard way. If after several tries you need help, it is ok, but not for basics.
Wolf
Life is not a resort with full care!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Warthog for the constructive critisim - its my first CUCV and you can only get so much information from the technical manuals
That is a correct statement. But every question you have asked is covered in the manuals. Most are in the troubleshooting section.

Before you start working on the alternators, charge and test your batteries. Any of the parts stores can do that. Take them inside for the test. Also check the belts.

The two places the alternators can fail are: the truck wiring and the internal electrical components

The simple test for the truck wiring has been posted many times. If the wiring is okay then move to the alternators.

Do you have a digital voltmeter (or analog)? Do you know how to use it? If not then buy one for around $10 and learn how to use it. There are thousands of youtube videos showing you how.

This is the MAJOR TOOL you will use to work on your truck. If you don't learn to use one then find someone that can. Without the voltmeter you will be guessing what is wrong.

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

Warthog,
I have to add something which supports your side. When I bought my M1009 in 1992 in summer, I had NO manual, no internet help. And the truck was not really ready to run and in some aspects incomplete. But I got it running and used it for 14 years until rust killed it.
Did SS exist by that time? I do not think so.
Wolf
Sorry, no electronic pic of the truck.

jmsneorrcom

Sorry to cause so much drama guys -thought that this was a blog to ask questions
next time warthog just pass any post that I have by and it wont cause you any stress

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am I missing where warthog said you stressed him? What drama?

Warthog asked you a few simple and basic questions. He also gave you many important facts.

We have no way to know if you have understanding or experience with the simplest things or the most complicated things.

I think he and Barrman and WolfDose gave you great info to start with..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks