• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator not charging

Shadrach

My alternator has stopped charging. Keep in mind that is also powering a hydraulic dump 24V power pack should I try to rebuild or upgrade to a modern style alternator like I have seen in the classifieds? Does anyone here rebuild alternators? I have found several places selling good used takoff's in the neighborhood of $300 and rebuilds for as much as $600:shock:. Thanks for your help.

silveradohd39

I had the same problem with my alternator. I would pull it off, (the top half) and inspect the brushes and any capacitors that may look burned or damaged. You can also get a new top half from Eriks Surplus in Escondido. (and they have new brushes for cheap. Try that before you go spend 400+ on a new alternator. best of luck,
Thomas

3rdmdqm

My alternator went up last year also. I did not have the time to fool around with it and try to take it apart. I purchased one from the classifieds, a 24V single wire alternator from Avengeusa. I have been quite pleased with the purchase. It works perfectly and have not had any further issues. At some point I am going to take my old one apart and see if I can fix it for a spare. That way I have another and if I ever want to get my truck back to original parts I can.2cents

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cmearma.com

Shadrach

fixed it

All testing of the alternator was done with the alternator still in the vehicle using a meter. This showed no current being generated. I got in there yesterday afternoon to take the alternator out and found a spot on the main lead wire that had rubbed through and caused a dead short. Half a roll of electrical tape and a four inch section of rubber hose later I decided to try and charge the batteries again and see what would happen. I had to work today so my father removed the battery chargers and fired it up just before lunch. It worked!!! He test drove it approx. five miles and cycled the hydraulic dump bed several times with no issues. Something to keep in mind if you have a similar problem in the future.

Last edited:

thehaas

southern automotive makes brand new alternators got through eric military supply. prestolite discontiued new one around 440 well worth it had used one was not exact same would not do that again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks