• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator oddity

riderdan

Noticed the alternator was loose this AM when working on the truck and it turned out that the rear bolt had worked loose and gotten lost. No problem (I thought)--I've got tons of bolts and I'm sure I have one to fit this application.

However, when I tried to thread the bolt into the hole in the tab on the alternator, it felt like there were no threads. Which seemed odd. So I looked closer and hole in the the body of the alternator, where the bolt is supposed to go, doesn't line up with the hole in the tab.

I threw a bolt in to see how far off the alignment was...

Any idea what's wrong here? The exploded diagram wasn't much help.

riderdan

No, I’m just trying to figure out why this doesn’t line up. The alternator is loose enough on the bracket that I took the belts off so the belts definitely aren’t the issue

maybe it needs to come all the way out and then back in with that bolt first?

Last edited:

riderdan

So, the bolt definitely had the bolt broken off inside the bottom hole of the alternator bracket. Ordered a new bracket, but it's not a perfect match for the one in the truck. Specifically, the hole where the bolt is supposed to go through the alternator mounting tab isn't threaded.

I'm thinking I can just use a longer bolt and put a nut on the back (the hole goes all the way through). Can anyone think of a reason not to do it that way?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the 60amp alternator goes on bracket that uses a bolt on the front and back, the bracket is threaded
with a helicoil, the bracket is usually aluminum, you also need the rear support and spacer.
The 200amp bracket is steeel snd the hole is NOT threaded, it uses long 7/16 bolt about 9in” long.
so check to see what bracket you might have,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks