• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator Output Results

74M35A2

Because it is not working. If you are getting that data with a digital meter, battery charging voltage needs to be a minimum of 25.7v or higher, really closer to 27v-28v range.

Jeepsinker

That's good data. Of course output at similar rpm will be different between your truck and ours because the pulley size is different, but I doubt it is a drastic difference. There are also two different diameter pulleys used on alternators that are installed on the NHC 250 vs the 8.3.

Jeepsinker

why does my alternator need to be adjusted so often? it will drop from 25 volts to less than 24 after it has been run a while.
for at least a month of nearly driving.
You need to adjust you alternator to put out 29v at idle. If it won't hold close to that then your alternator is failing.

74M35A2

Good thing I like donuts. I'm guessing it is just the way the alternator is rated. The starter/alternator company I am employed at rates the same way, a guaranteed minimum under any and all circumstances. For example, the 130 amp 24v unit I sell as an upgrade for 5t a2's actually belts out 177 amps at room temperature, then lessens as it gets hot, but will never drop below 130 amps.

74M35A2

Make a kit to replace the one in Deuces! Ill do the R&D! :)
You doing the R&D means you'd be designing the kit, not me. It is so far not really cost feasible to adapt the 130A 24V alternator I stock, for the LDT/S or Cummins 250 engine due to the V belt pulley requirement of those accessory drives. My alternator is equipped with an 8 rib serpentine pulley, and utilizes a shaft diameter different than the existing stock military or Delco/Chinese Delco clone alternators. I get $350 for the alternator as-is, and then to have a pulley custom made would drive it up further. These vehicles are so simplistic electrically, you almost don't even need a battery. Once you are past the current draw of the headlamps and heater blower, you are home free. Honestly, even a 60 amp alternator on these trucks is overkill. Separately, you then also have the J-180 long to short change to make, and I think you found an original tractor bracket of the same engine which will do it, but there is another $150 or so into it just for that. Somebody would have to REALLY want this alternator to sink $600 or so into making it happen.

rustystud

Good thing I like donuts. I'm guessing it is just the way the alternator is rated. The starter/alternator company I am employed at rates the same way, a guaranteed minimum under any and all circumstances. For example, the 130 amp 24v unit I sell as an upgrade for 5t a2's actually belts out 177 amps at room temperature, then lessens as it gets hot, but will never drop below 130 amps.
So your saying it is NOT a A0014630JA alternator ? Can we have a picture of this alternator ? I need to compare it to mine. Thanks.

Last edited:

74M35A2

I don't know the model number. I'll check it when I get home tonight and let you know. I doubt it is anything special, I think most people just don't measure the output like I did. I would guess most all of them perform this way, until they stop working, which is also common.

74M35A2

Sorry rust, no part numbers visibly available within plain sight on my alternator. There is a chrome like decal at the bottom that says "Rebuilt by Southern Electric" or some jazz like that. It looks like maybe that tag used to have numbers on it, but then it later took a shot a carb cleaner and they are long gone. It may remain a mystery forever. But it will be for sale soon for anybody that wants it. I guess I could post a pic later if it is that interesting.

rustystud

Sorry rust, no part numbers visibly available within plain sight on my alternator. There is a chrome like decal at the bottom that says "Rebuilt by Southern Electric" or some jazz like that. It looks like maybe that tag used to have numbers on it, but then it later took a shot a carb cleaner and they are long gone. It may remain a mystery forever. But it will be for sale soon for anybody that wants it. I guess I could post a pic later if it is that interesting.
I just want to know if it is the same as mine.