• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator problem...

dm22630

The passenger side alternator on my M1009 was loose & when I went to tighten the upper bolt (which I could turn by hand), the bolt would go all the way in & then just spin and spin (with a ratchet).

The threaded hole on the alternator is stripped out I guess. What is the best way to fix this?

Do I take the alternator off & retap the hole with a bigger sized bolt?

Do I use a longer bolt & screw it all the way through & put a nut on the other side?

By the way....I took the alternator belt completely off until I fix this. So is running the truck on one alternator going to screw something up?

Thanks!

mangus580

dm22630 said:
Do I take the alternator off & retap the hole with a bigger sized bolt?
You could. If so, I would heli-coil it...

Do I use a longer bolt & screw it all the way through & put a nut on the other side?
This is the simplest fix...

By the way....I took the alternator belt completely off until I fix this. So is running the truck on one alternator going to screw something up?
You will eventually run down the rear battery from starting, and not be able to start the truck.