• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternator problems? or is it the batteries?

koltin

Alright so after reading for a couple hours on here, I still can't figure out whats going on... basically, when it started was when it started to get cold around here, I was having cold starting problems so I swapped in some new AC delco glow plugs. Truck started a **** of a lot easier, but on startup, the voltmeter shower about halfway down into the yellow and would stay there for a while until I was actually driving, then it would jump back up the the edge of the green like it usually did. Everything worked right for a little over 2 weeks. I drive the truck an average of about 40 miles a day, and its all city. Anyway, the truck started giving me problems starting again so I threw it on the charger and it started up and ran again for a couple days. two days ago, I start it up, it starts normal, voltmeter halfway in the yellow, and when I go to drive off, belts were really loose, was running late to school so i got it there, and had just enough battery to get her started back up to come home. batteries were charging at about half way through green while driving. when I got it home I tightened up the belts truck ran fine for a day. Going out yesterday the truck is having some strange problems... it was charging but it was dependent on revs. as i would rev higher id get more charge out of it. I'm pretty sure the ALT lights didn't come on at all (they do work). I knew the truck wasnt gonna start today, but i tried anyway, truck didn't come on at all. no power. I do have a radio with memory and gps in it, that way have killed the batteries... Sorry for being long winded. Can anyone tell me if its one of the other Alternators/ battery?

Skinny

Pay very close attention to the GP circuit. Your controller may be coming on randomly.

You can try to guess at the problem but you need to get some volt readings on both batts before solving the problem. Good rule of thumb with any truck that has a questionable past is to change all the belts, rebuild both gens, and install two new Group 31's or 6TL's. Also clean up the terminals on the GEN dash bulbs. This concludes your charging system maintenance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks